Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2021, 03:25 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
You guys have mentioned lift kits, but you can make cars faster, too.
You could also mod any wind brick so it gets better fuel mileage (boat tail).
Boat tail with an annular ring Coanda nozzle that converts exhaust pressure to forward thrust (Dyson/Jetoptera) with wheel spats and a nice stance and you could have better mileage at higher speeds.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
The korean builds seem bigger.
I really don't know why, but maybe it's because South Korea seemingly doesn't have any rule similar to that lower taxation for cars simultaneously narrower than 1.70m and shorter than 4.70m as in Japan.

Quote:
I just dont fit in Toyotas.
Even some small Toyotas not meant to be ever available in Japan, such as the Vios or the Etios, follow that under-1.70m width rule. While I can't deny they're quite narrow both inside and outside, at least the Etios was quite roomy inside. I hate the seating position of the Vios because it's too low, and my knees are not really something to write home about.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
You could also mod any wind brick so it gets better fuel mileage (boat tail).

I also like the Ford Maverick, even if it isn't proven to be reliable yet.

High ground clearance (assuming).
Lots of cargo space (maybe add a camper shell if needed).
$20,000.
And gets 40mpg.

Sounds like a winner to me, except that $20,000 is right at the limit of the budget and it may be cramped inside for 4 adults. (I'd have to check the specs to be sure.)

I REALLY like the Ford Maverick. Roomy, excellent fuel economy, a bed to throw wet paddling gear or smelly waders. Add a shell (or bed cap, topper or canopy depending on region of the country you live) and it is perfect. The cabin is roomer in every dimension front and back compared to our Sportwagen.

A few problems:
Price.
It is over the $20K budget. That budget normally could be more flexible but I only plan to have either the VW or a replacement vehicle for 18 months. By Mid-2023 the plan is to have sold the house, vehicles, and most our possessions and started our nomadic wanderings. It seems a bit silly to pay more than I ever have for a new vehicle and then sell it a year or so later.

My hope was to trade the VW for something similar without paying much more out of pocket.

Availability:
Supposedly the Maverick is sold out for the first year of production. That said, I see local dealers offering them for sale but only the 2.0T version that gets 25 mpg.

AWD:
Ford is not offering the Maverick with the hybrid engine and AWD for the first year. I would hate to buy a new vehicle and not get EXACTLY what I want. If I'm going to buy a truck or SUV I want it to be RWD or AWD.

Working in the Maverick's favor is the completely ridiculous price of late model used vehicles right now. It makes way more sense to me to buy to spend $25K on a new 2022 Maverick than a used 2016 RAV4 with 75K miles.

The other option is to do like rmay635703 suggested and throw out one of my criteria. I could go the ECO as in economical route and toss my MPG requirement and save a bunch on the vehicle and pay a bit more for gas. I could likely buy an almost fully depreciated 4WD Tahoe, get 15 mpg, and come out financially ahead over 18 months compared to overpaying for something like a $25K used RAV4 Hybrid.

Of course doing nothing is also an option. Keep driving the VW and hope it doesn't have an expensive failure in the next 18 months. A coworker has an identical car to mine (same year, trim, miles, even color) and had the panoramic sunroof replaced at a cost of $7K.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Only if you could smuggle an Argentinian-made Ranger with the Diesel engine, as they are available in Mexico... BTW recently I saw one with a pop-up camper module in Brazil, but I'm not sure if that camper module is locally-made or imported from the USA.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
40mpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windowsticker.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	31342  
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
JSH (10-06-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 12:19 AM   #36 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
40mpg
Excellent mpg. Just none for sale anywhere near me. Only 75 show up in a national search and they seem to be preorders not actual cars on the lot)

My local dealer claims to have 4 on order ranging from $29,000 to $36,000. (All marked up $3000 over MSRP)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #37 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
A hatchback is a huge priority. This vehicle has to carry 4 adults (5’9” – 6’3”) with a week of backpacking gear in the summer and ski gear in the winter

This is a picture from last weekend. This is a typical forest service road here in Oregon. I stopped to check if I was going to make it over that 6-7” flat rock I’m straddling. Even if the road is graded smooth they still have water bars which are 12 inch deep trenches at an angle across the road for water runoff.

I'd go on that logging road with my Prius. I don't follow the ruts, but instead run the tires over the tallest points, meaning I drive off to one side or the other, switching as necessary to avoid objects. It's a lot slower than simply powering ahead though with plenty of ground clearance to not worry.

I took my Prius up to Ed's Trailhead near Silver Star Mountain and all the reviews said you needed a truck or other high clearance 4x4 to make it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'd go on that logging road with my Prius. I don't follow the ruts, but instead run the tires over the tallest points, meaning I drive off to one side or the other, switching as necessary to avoid objects. It's a lot slower than simply powering ahead though with plenty of ground clearance to not worry.

I took my Prius up to Ed's Trailhead near Silver Star Mountain and all the reviews said you needed a truck or other high clearance 4x4 to make it.

I'd take my Avalon on that road too. I've gone over lots of mountain passes a lot like that picture or even worse without hardly ever scraping bottom. Cumberland pass, for an example.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

I've taken my Prius and VW's on plenty of forest service roads. That picture was taken in one of the better sections of this road. There is no way a Prius (or any other FWD car) would have made it up the first uphill section. Steep with a deep trench eroded diagonally across the road so you couldn't just straddle it. The van wouldn't have made it in the rainy season

Even then, if I replace the VW it isn't going to be with something I have to crawl along forest service roads at 10 mph.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

I drove smaller cars such as an Opel Corsa B through much rougher terrain conditions. I'm sure some 4WD with a higher ground clearance would be better suitable, considering the oil sump of that Corsa once got damaged after hitting a rock hidded under some mud. It didn't damage the oil sump to the point of leaking, but that small bend increased the oil pressure for a while.

Reply  Post New Thread