Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

I don't have to show you anything. I have presented the two articles, based on what I have described in the articles that I have done. I have also presented the reasons why such an approach works. Believe it or don't believe it as you wish!

Over more than 3000 articles and nearly 11 years, often we at AutoSpeed have presented articles and approaches where people are doubting or even outright disbelieving. I don't both trying to argue the cases anymore - try it and find out, or just go on talking.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
To be honest, when all you have to say about your testing procedure is this:
Quote:
However, in back-to-back testing over the same urban route, we saw a repeatable 15 per cent fuel economy improvement – and that comparison was with a well-driven car!
and you refuse to elaborate on it you are inviting skepticism. On road testing, especially urban, is notoriously prone to variation based on road conditions. You say repeatable, but did you do ABA testing? How many runs? What was the temperature? How did you control for different amounts of traffic during different points in the day? Etc.

I'm not saying it's not a nice gauge, but 99% of the article is about how to make it and 1% is about proof that it works, which isn't much of a motivator to use one.

But if it's now autospeed's policy to not clarify unclear portions of its articles, that would be a shame.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #33 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...there *is* a difference between "selling" and "convincing" just as there's a difference between "...trust me..." and "...show me..."

...yes, I'm interested (as stated earlier), but so far I haven't read anything that tells me in convincing terms that it actually works and would provide tangible benefits...to me. And, as a reader, I believe that makes me one of your 'target' audience...or, maybe not?!?

...isn't it the authors' task to provide the words that makes the reader believe and understand? The reader should not be "left" wondering "...is that all there is?" (sorry about the Peggy Lee pun).

Last edited by gone-ot; 08-25-2009 at 11:54 PM..
Old 09-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Before I start, I would like to say, I love Autospeed. Don't ever change. You guys do great stuff.

Quote:
I am a bit puzzled why people here are negative.
We are a tough crowd. But remember, this is the continent that spawned the quote
"There's a sucker born every minute" But that quote does not tell you that there's a skeptic born every other minute. A bunch of them are here.

Anyone giving unsubstantiated claims gets shot down. If you don't want/have time for/budget for "scientific testing", Just add a disclaimer and you should be OK. Or just take the lumps.

This is a forum after all.

Thanks for posting and answering questions by the way.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #35 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
i actually think the claims are easy to believe

its just instrumentation... hypermiling vs. drive likea fool

i bet if i took almost any vehicle driving down the interstate, installed a 120db siren on the dash that goes off anytime the vehicle exceeds 50mph, i could increase its fuel economy by atleast 15%

i bet SG has helped tons of ppl get 15% better mileage
Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TimsZuki - '97 Suzuki Sidekick Sport JLX
90 day: 25.53 mpg (US)
Anyone disassemble or reverse engineer this so someone could build one? It seems the "maker" has discontinued this.

I like the idea of a "you're GREEN!" led it would encourage my wife to drive a bit more smoothly where a scanguage will intimidate her.