Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
chipsndukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 13

chipsndukes - '96 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backfire

Well, I just introduced myself, in the other section.
I am not new to ecomodding, I have been "lurking" for a while and trying my hand at saving fuel.

I wanted to post, because something interesting happened yesterday:

I was driving out of a tight curve with the engine off, bumped it on a short straight and then shut down again for a tight left-hander.
It was uphill, and with someone behind me, I quick bumped the engine again...BOOM.

The person in front of me nearly stopped dead and I had to brake, the person behind me backed off. Nobody knew what happened, just that it was LOUD.

I know that it is possible to cause a backfire because of raw fuel in the exhaust system, but I thought that wouldn't happen, because when the ignition is turned off, the injectors close, right?

In a year, this has never happened to me, but I thought I would kindly ask for your comments!

Chipsndukes


Last edited by chipsndukes; 07-15-2009 at 05:36 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
The Atomic Ass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 535

Priinocchio - '17 Toyota Prius Two Eco
90 day: 67.84 mpg (US)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndukes View Post
Well, I just introduced myself, in the other section.
I am not new to ecomodding, I have been "lurking" for a while and trying my hand at saving fuel.

I wanted to post, because something interesting happened yesterday:

I was driving out of a tight curve with the engine off, bumped it on a short straight and then shut down again for a tight left-hander.
It was uphill, and with someone behind me, I quick bumped the engine again...BOOM.

The person in front of me nearly stopped dead and I had to brake, the person behind me backed off. Nobody knew what happened, just that it was LOUD.

I know that it is possible to cause a backfire because of raw fuel in the exhaust system, but I thought that wouldn't happen, because when the ignition is turned off, the injectors close, right?

In 1 1/2 years, this has never happened to me, but I thought I would kindly ask for your comments!

Chipsndukes
In a multi-cylinder engine, fuel can be injected into a cylinder prior to shut off, and the shut off happens prior to that same cylinder getting spark ignition. As a matter of fact, it's probably going to happen every single time, with 4 cylinders. Although it was probably the quick stop-start routine that allowed enough fuel to collect to cause the backfire.

I'd recommend installing a kill switch!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
chipsndukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 13

chipsndukes - '96 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
I'd recommend installing a kill switch!
Thank you very much Atomic.

How would the kill switch help to prevent a backfire?

Thanks!
Chipsndukes
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
The Atomic Ass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 535

Priinocchio - '17 Toyota Prius Two Eco
90 day: 67.84 mpg (US)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndukes View Post
Thank you very much Atomic.

How would the kill switch help to prevent a backfire?

Thanks!
Chipsndukes
When you key off, the computer stops the spark and fuel simultaneously. With a kill switch, if wired properly, it kills just the injectors, keeping the spark going, igniting any left over fuel in the last few revolutions before the engine comes to a complete stop.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
chipsndukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 13

chipsndukes - '96 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
When you key off, the computer stops the spark and fuel simultaneously. With a kill switch, if wired properly, it kills just the injectors, keeping the spark going, igniting any left over fuel in the last few revolutions before the engine comes to a complete stop.
OK, thank you very much, that makes sense.

Chipsndukes

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com