Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
Got a new used 2009 Honda Fit

After 4 years with the Scion Xb it was time for a new car. I did love my scion and would recommend one if you are looks for a decent mpg ride with good cargo capacity.

Well. I ended up getting a 2009 Honda Fit 5 speed off a private seller. It's the sport version so it has key-less entry / power windows / power locks / 16" alloy wheels/ etc.

Decent cargo capacity. It will fit a bike in without taking the wheels off (the XB could do this too). But...I am most impressed with the mpg! 39.8 mpg on the first tank. That's just taking it easy and not driving like a maniac. This should improve because I am a little rusty on the stick shift...It's been 4 years with the auto-slush box. Anyways I took a 100mi ride in the country today and averaged 51.1mpg (according to the optimistic in-dash mpg gauge)! It seems like ~40mph in 5th gear is the sweet spot. It should be good for over 50mpg.

Anyways, I threw a new air filter in and pumped the tires to 40psi. That's my start. Any other low hanging honda fit mpg fruit I should look out for?

The Following User Says Thank You to igo For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (04-12-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Congratulations! My best guess would be that with the Fit's low gearing, you'd best keep speeds down. Honda tends to do a good job with most everything else, there may or may not be an advantage to a different set of wheels/tires though.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 04-12-2016, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I like these cars. Do a stealthy behind the grill block. Add a black edging air dam under the front bumper. Those are proven tried and true mods that are cheap and low profile. Get a scan gauge or ultra gauge and learn to hypermile that puppy, cutting the engine to coast... bump starting. When nee tires come do, go for taller tires that are LRR.

Those are all mods that change the look little and will benefit your bottom line.

Congrats on a fun new car.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
You're going to love this little car.

Between 40-50 is a really good speed for mpg, and it's really easy to p&g at those speeds. A lower grille block will help with warmup and aero, but make sure you have an SG or UG first so you can watch your coolant temp. At higher speeds the grille block will help a lot, but not as much as drafting (safely).

A well trained foot can manage to get good numbers at highway speeds, but drafting is the only way to save you from the Fit's horrible shape unless you go full basjoos on it. One of Daox's switches will do great in it too (if I ever have time to wire in a relay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 04-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Veen's '09 FIT - '09 Honda FIT Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 43.41 mpg (US)
Bump that tire pressure up to 50 PSI, assuming that's withing the max rating of your tires. I know the FIT rides pretty rough but once you get used to it, that extra 10 PSI will make a big difference. I ride pretty terrible roads most of the time and have had no problems at 50 PSI.

I definitely agree with getting an ultra guage. It will make so much difference. I wouldn't trust the stock guage. Great to have another FIT driver on here. I"m definitely biased but they're the best car you can get!
The Following User Says Thank You to Veen For This Useful Post:
Impulse (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veen View Post
Bump that tire pressure up to 50 PSI, assuming that's withing the max rating of your tires.
(I make this argument a lot but it's popular here.) That might be too high, particularly for the rears. My Fit got very loose in the back above 40psi or so. It's been a while but I think I settled in at 48/42 F/R as the best balance of control and rolling resistance.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
(I make this argument a lot but it's popular here.) That might be too high, particularly for the rears. My Fit got very loose in the back above 40psi or so. It's been a while but I think I settled in at 48/42 F/R as the best balance of control and rolling resistance.
Well mine have been at 60psi for 5 years and about 60,000 miles. I corner kinda quickly, preserving momentum. My tires are LRR 175 width Defenders. No accidents, no slides, no problems at all. FWIW.

EDIT: only caveat is that one should monitor the tires. When I had used tiresI caught a bulge once (which indicated dryrot, so I replaced them).

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread