Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Knut - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 50.9 mpg (US)

Santa - '00 Hyundai Santamo
90 day: 29.07 mpg (US)
yo, summer tires in the winter is not always fun. here you can see me and my mx5, spinning out of the track, following an audi with 4WD and winter tires.

i have driven winter tires in the summer twice without any sort of problems. up to 30°C and more.

Prius II
Hyundai Santamo
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Eph's 08 NAH - '08 Nissan Altima Hybrid tech package
90 day: 46.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8L View Post
I've traded emails with Woody at TireRack regarding their LRR tire testing but I never offered specific testing procedure ideas. I really hope they stop using their test BMWs for the gas mileage testing though. lol

I keep a current list of LRR tires available in Prius sizes over at Priuschat.com. Because everyone has specific needs in a tire it is hard to saw which is best because not everyone has the same needs.

Here is a quick summary of the Prius favorites:

Priuschat.com Favorites

Michelin Energy Saver A/S
Michelin Primacy MXM4 (V-rated)
Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 and EP422
Continental ContiProContact with EcoPlus
Yokohama dB Super E-Spec
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
Hankook Optimo H727 (not LRR but a good tire)

For those who just want to be told what to get here it is:

Michelin Energy Saver A/S = Best mpg, good wear but lacking in performance.

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max = Great mpg but behind the others in road noise, handling, and overall road manners and performance. Great tread wear but lacking wet traction.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 = Awesome mpg! Good wet traction and handling tire but lacking in dry braking and traction. Tread wear average.

Yokohama dB Super E-Spec = Great mpg (better than Fuel Max). Great handling, dry braking. Sort of a performance tire that gets excellent mpg but low to good tread wear and no warranty.

Continental ContiProContact with EcoPlus = Least mpg of those listed above (just beihnd Fuel Max by a few 10ths) but what it loses in mpg it makes up for with excellent handling and wet traction, very high tread wear warranty, low price, and low noise.

I've owned the Yokohama dB Super E-Spec, Goodyear Integrity, Nokian i3, Michelin Primacy MXM4 and I will be installing the brand new Yokohama AVID Ascend.
Can you post the link to the post on priuschat that talks about this, please?

I just ordered the Kumho ecowing KH30s. I'll let you all know how they work out once I get some miles on them, but they got great reviews at TireRack before they stopped selling them there.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #33 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephraim View Post
Can you post the link to the post on priuschat that talks about this, please?

I just ordered the Kumho ecowing KH30s. I'll let you all know how they work out once I get some miles on them, but they got great reviews at TireRack before they stopped selling them there.
Sure. I try my best not to promote other sites when visiting a different one but this is just easier.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List - PriusChat Forums

In this that thread I try to provide all the information needed to make a sound choice in LRR tires. I hope it helps you as well.
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
The Following User Says Thank You to F8L For This Useful Post:
cephraim (03-14-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Been doing a lot of searching about tires.
And I have decided to go with the Continental ProContact with EcoPlus 195/60 15

To me, the extra saftey alone warrants a fraction less of economy compared to other LRR.
And they also have 80k warranty, All though I have heard that they don't last that long.

I have a 2k mile trip soon. I'll let you know how they go!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #35 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
The ProContact is a pretty awesome tire for being LRR. Probably because it is not super LRR. lol

2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Reply  Post New Thread