Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #41 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbd56 View Post
I think if I want to do a tranny swap it's going to be a while down the road, and I would love to swap from a auto to a manual but I think that'll be too much for me to handle. What would be a tranny that I could swap that has a final drive taller than 4.357? I've been researching it but have had no luck yet.
Yours is exactly the kind of question for which I compiled this list/guide from a slew of reliable internet sources: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post378478

And the answer is nonetheless still that you're looking for an HX, VX, CX, or 1996-2000 DX hatch. in order to get taller gearing. The 1992-1995 fifth generation VX and CX had the tallest of the recents. The 4th gen HF had the tallest period.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So, I'll ask the stupid question:

The 92-95 transmissions will not swap to the 96-00 vehicles?
I've seen a few vx cars for sale but they're too nice to hack up.
Just thinking that if I could score a decent vx trans and get some better mpg that would maybe save me a few bucks in my long commute.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
So, I'll ask the stupid question:

The 92-95 transmissions will not swap to the 96-00 vehicles?
I've seen a few vx cars for sale but they're too nice to hack up.
Just thinking that if I could score a decent vx trans and get some better mpg that would maybe save me a few bucks in my long commute.
Yes they swap. Simple bolt on... no mods or fabrication. I have a 93 CX tranny on my 98 DX engine right now. I got the trans through carpart.com ... check out the specs list I linked above. I really think it'll be useful to you. best, james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver surfer - '97 Honda Civic HX
Stuff for sale if anyone is interested

I fully enjoyed putting 90k on my d16y5(hx) engine and enjoyed the transmission for the most part. For city driving the tall gears really made the commute on busy days not so fun. But either way I have a full swap with alot of parts available in upstate NY.

D16y5 engine- very well maintained 170k
new thermostat, spark plugs, valve cover gasket. valve adjustment <1k old, It comes with alternator, power steering pump, radiator, hoses, wire harness, ecu, intake, and k&n filter.
I also have the HX transmission 170k on that as well. Either ISB was making sound or the throwout bearing. I did engine swap so I never found out which. Still shifted like a champ and the old clutch still grabbed well. new syncromesh inside. comes with shift linkage if needed

I also have the axles and full exhaust that came with it. exhaust manifold still has both o2 sensors in it(5 wire and 2 wire). no holes.

I have a new in box timing belt kit that includes water pump and gaskets.

I have a new exedy OEM replacement clutch kit and a NIB bruteforce flywheel which is a little heavier for those coasters out there.

I was going to wait for a shell but the garage is already full of stuff so I won't have time to find a nice 4 door shell to drop it in. I was hoping to get 750 for everything. Feel free to send me some numbers if you wanted to work something out.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
honda civic hx, pennsylvania, transmission trans swap