Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014, 09:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I've been in Nevada driving on a straight highway without seeing any side roads, buildings, even other cars for half an hour or so, not even oncoming. Yes I can imagine what it is like

My commute takes me through the so-called green heart, a 'rural' area amidst Hollands biggest cities and townscape. And it still is largely rural, but nonetheless criscrossed with roads and canals and railroads, all of them bridged over or tunneled under.
Even though the land is at sea level within the meter for the most part, the road height changes several meters at least once in every 2 km.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ford Fiesta 1.0 gave me 70mpg on a highway testdrive. It quickly dropped after I hit some redlights & the turbo was spooling up (for acceleration). That's where a battery would have helped save fuel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
At lower speeds yes, and pulse and glide, yes, and for short times after a full charge, yes, but driving all day down an open interstate?
my Civic hybrid only has a 1.3 liter engine, so it will do better than the nonhybrid civic with 1.7 or 2.0 engine. (I get 80 MPG at 45 miles/hour. highway.)

If I could get a nonhybrid civic with the teeny-tiny engine I would, but Honda doesnt offer it. Of course it would be very sluggish (almost no torque below 2000 rpm). That's another benefit of hybridization..... it makes a tiny 1.3 engine feel like a 2.0.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaveng View Post
Ford Fiesta 1.0 gave me 70mpg on a highway testdrive. It quickly dropped after I hit some redlights & the turbo was spooling up (for acceleration). That's where a battery would have helped save fuel.
See that's what I'm talking about! I thought the EPAs test was wildly off for this car, now imagine picking some of the low hanging fruit aero wise that is harder with a Prius. If a stock one on a test drive can pull 7O, imagine owning, monitoring, and modding one.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
The max fuel economy you can get hypermiling is from a 2006 era Prius.

The best fuel economy model (for normal driving) is a Generation 3 model.

So if you can care less how or how fast you drive you can get more fuel economy out of a 2006 using all hypermiling methods, but a Gen 3 can give you more fuel economy driving normally but its max fuel economy is about 20% less than the generation 2.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf on the Wind - '13 Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
The max fuel economy you can get hypermiling is from a 2006 era Prius.

The best fuel economy model (for normal driving) is a Generation 3 model.

So if you can care less how or how fast you drive you can get more fuel economy out of a 2006 using all hypermiling methods, but a Gen 3 can give you more fuel economy driving normally but its max fuel economy is about 20% less than the generation 2.

Cheers
Ryan
Fuelly and Fueleconomy.gov both don't bear this out. I'm looking on there and the max-hypermilers for both generations are getting a hair over 70mpg (disregarding some weird 120-ish readings which I'm guessing are plug-in prii, or other expensive battery mods). Obviously the averages agree with your second conclusion (higher for gen3) but it's your other claim which I'm curious about. Do you have any data to back it up?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantthought View Post
Fuelly and Fueleconomy.gov both don't bear this out. I'm looking on there and the max-hypermilers for both generations are getting a hair over 70mpg (disregarding some weird 120-ish readings which I'm guessing are plug-in prii, or other expensive battery mods). Obviously the averages agree with your second conclusion (higher for gen3) but it's your other claim which I'm curious about. Do you have any data to back it up?
The data can be found right from Wayne Gerdes.

Once heated up the Gen II under ideal conditions can average right around 100mpg using a prius specific P&G technique (some can get higher, no plug needed). Few people really do that in their prius, especially not over the coarse of their whole trip and warmup kills fuel economy massively. The Gen III does not respond as well to the P&G technique and averages less when driven in that way (you won't average 120mpg over a trip in a gen III unless you are going downhill with the wind), but driven normally (or lightly) it provides better fuel economy than the Gen II.

So if you have skills and your driving conditions would allow for it yes the Gen II can outshine a Gen III, simple physics.

But to do it you would probably average around 30mph pulsing up to the upper limit and gliding down.

So I guess it depends on if you are a purist or not.

For any average driver Gen III is a bit better for a hypermiler the additional cost of ownership is likely not worthwhile.

Cheers
Ryan
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
radiantthought (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf on the Wind - '13 Nissan Leaf
Cool, I hadn't heard about that.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Once heated up the Gen II under ideal conditions can average right around 100mpg using a prius specific P&G technique (some can get higher, no plug needed). .....

The Gen III does not respond as well to the P&G technique and averages less when driven in that way (you won't average 120mpg over a trip in a gen III unless you are going downhill with the wind), but driven normally (or lightly) it provides better fuel economy than the Gen II.
Well I don't do P&G because I am busy doing other stuff while driving (listening to music, or talk shows). It sounds like the G3 would give higher MPG at a steadystate 40-45 miles/hour than the G2.

Reply  Post New Thread