Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Best swap shop in Toronto? (CX with vtec-e swap not working right)

Tried today with a good friend/mechanic to wire away my CEL, (code 12, 20, 41), started with a code 48 a year ago. Anyway I'm giving up and I want to take my CX with VTEC-E engine swap, to an experienced Toronto swap shop.
2 years ago I swaped this engine in for the legendary "lean-burn", 60mpg performance, but so far all I've gotten is around 30 mpg. The engine light's been on the whole time, I've added all the right bits; exhaust manifold, 5 wire O2, EGR, VTEC, EGR solenoid box, P07 ECM.:frusty:
Anyway If anyone out there can recommend a Toronto swap shop who understands these totally UNperformance engines I'ld really appreciate it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
id do it but im in the states :/

id suggest finding a shop that is very familiar with hondas swaps specifically. one that does strictly high performance would be fine. you can do it yourselves but you have to have both the cx and vx wiring harness diagrams. take your time and compare whats the same between them and whats different.

sorry thats probably not much help haha good luck with it. hope it gets straightened out for ya
Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Maybe while you search for a shop we could help out? Are you using the stock CX harness? If you started out with a code 48, the first step is to buy a new quality O2 sensor like OEM or NTK. If you kept the stock harness obviously the 5 wire had to be spliced into the harness, so double check the wiring diagram on the ECU to make sure every wire is where it needs to be.

Code 12 is the EGR, so replace the EGR valve, clean the passages, and once again if it's the stock harness the EGR had to be spliced in so make sure all the wires are running to the appropriate ECU pins.

Code 20 is the ELD, try this procedure: Code 20 ELD (Electric load detector) - Honda-Tech

Code 41 is your O2 sensor again. This should be fixed when you replace the O2 & verify correct wiring.

The ECU is telling you the problems, but sometimes it comes down to a faulty ECU. I'm not really sure of what all you have tried, but I would be happy to help out if you want to give more info. Good luck

Old 09-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Maybe while you search for a shop we could help out? Are you using the stock CX harness? If you started out with a code 48, the first step is to buy a new quality O2 sensor like OEM or NTK. If you kept the stock harness obviously the 5 wire had to be spliced into the harness, so double check the wiring diagram on the ECU to make sure every wire is where it needs to be.

Code 12 is the EGR, so replace the EGR valve, clean the passages, and once again if it's the stock harness the EGR had to be spliced in so make sure all the wires are running to the appropriate ECU pins.

Code 20 is the ELD, try this procedure: Code 20 ELD (Electric load detector) - Honda-Tech

Code 41 is your O2 sensor again. This should be fixed when you replace the O2 & verify correct wiring.

The ECU is telling you the problems, but sometimes it comes down to a faulty ECU. I'm not really sure of what all you have tried, but I would be happy to help out if you want to give more info. Good luck
Thanks a lot cbaber for the encouragement, but to be honest I've lost all hope that I can fix this problem. I have never enjoyed or been very good with the "black art" of electrics. I'm good with stuff I can see but not very good with stuff I can't.

Reply  Post New Thread