Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2016, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
Very true. I did some comparative testing and found that "normal" vs "drive like a grandma" acceleration made almost no difference to gas mileage. So I accelerate at about 3/4 throttle, shift at 2500 RPM, and keep up with traffic.
The drivetrain sort of dictates. With my manual transmission diesel -- and using every gear every time -- I'm looking to set turbocharger pressure to a constant. That is, to have rolling momentum with each shift. "Progressive Shifting" a topic from the big truck world.

Mainly, one is cognizant of gear spacing. Slower at first (gears are close together) and faster as one progresses. Or, a higher rpm as one goes along. I don't ever wind it up except when towing. And then only in Fourth or in Direct. A man trans Cummins is ponderous in acceleration. There is no keeping up with the stupids. No point.

I'd rather have them go around me from stoplight to stoplight in any event. My concern is to not have to stop AND to preserve maximum distances from them. Same as when I am in the Kenworth.

Knowing when AND HOW to shift is the other. Especially something like a downshift on a downgrade with wet road and 35' trailer in tow into a 110-degree turn. That trailer WILL push the barely heavier truck sideways if I am too fast. What is applicable here is that NO drive is ever exactly the same. Even on a route driven hundreds of times.

It's a different world than with an automatic. Today's six and eight speed autos do an excellent job. For the most part I would want to learn how the computer does it. My impression is that vehicles are set up for prompt acceleration. I'd imagine it can be worked with going up or down. Solo or towing.

As a pickup is meant to do work I'd also learn to drive solo with the truck loaded to GVWR. There is no excuse to increase wear and tear in any substantial way when so doing. A big load of sand or gravel. And using the scale to understand FF/RR balance. A larger bag of acquired skill makes for better driving all around. One is slower, relatively, but faster in decision-making.

An empty car with one person achieving high numbers is just a stunt. Almost meaningless. Let's see how well FE is accomplished when loaded to max. The practical design of the vehicle.

I don't only heat or cool one room of the house. The challenge there is to find the appropriate balance. Same with a vehicle. Load it heavy and drive it for six weeks and FIND what is necessary for those wet downhill turns. No sliding, no panic braking. Get the learning curve behind one.

Some will say it is too hard on the vehicle. I doubt that as I've done it. Cars and trucks. One finds weak spots in operation -- driver and vehicle mechanicals -- pretty quickly.

For that day it may really matter. No money, no job and no home. Gotta go. Natural or man made disaster. Doesn't matter the reason. It's what I'd assume any father would want to know. How to get all the way down that long road with what little remains to us in cash and possessions. Safely.

To know ahead of time the likely fuel burn given traffic, torn up roads, bad weather, etc.

Sunny day solo driving isn't a guide. Anymore than is reducing the annual fuel bill. It's only with a maximum load on good tires and brakes -- having some practice -- that ensures best possible mpg under stressful circumstances.

So, accelerating with traffic? Yes, drivetrain dictated. But, both light AND heavy. In all weather. ETC.

Then and only then, IMO, is a pickup trucks practicality a given. Vehicle weak spots and driver weak spots exposed and repaired.

Range in 5-15/mph traffic is 3-5/mpg. Any vehicle. Biggest fuel tank wins. But why a pickup "could" be the practical choice when fuel availability is unknown (see any hurricane evacuation and extrapolate for other types). One must get 150-miles down the road, first. That's an average.

So, how to accelerate? Really, it's more on how to use the brakes. Acceleration and deceleration events. Practice while heavy informs all use.

In a man trans turbo diesel like mine, it's what gear. Not rpm or posted road speed limit. For a multi speed auto some of this will apply. Find what works. Minimal throttle movement and least use of brakes for a fully laden truck is the goal.

Acceleration takes care of itself, with this approach.

Last edited by slowmover; 05-07-2016 at 09:33 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
star_deceiver (05-08-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread