Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Short trips are probably your main problem. Your city driving is potentially a huge problem as well. City driving can mean just about anything, so it's difficult to compare one person's city MPG to another's.

Unless you could sell your Festiva for more than you pay for a Civic, you'll probably never make up the cost of switching vehicles. MPG gains would likely be low and it sounds like you don't do a whole lot of driving.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to vskid3 For This Useful Post:
willie@eco (02-06-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Blue Berry - '90 Geo Metro XFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
10W40, oh god.

I did a little Googling, and 5W30 is what Ford recommended for your car: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...adPdf?id=44867

Since you say the car is still in really good running shape, I'd put in something no thicker than 5W30 at the next change, and maybe even thinner. (My Subaru manual calls for 5W30 and I use 0W30 for its better flow at cold temperatures.)
Nice! Good to know. I do have a little piston slap uppon start up that last a second but thats about it. I think i should do that, change to 5w-30. Now where can i find a good block heater? I dont even really know how they work besides they warm up the engine lol. Please excuse my ignorance lol
Old 02-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Short trips are probably your main problem. Your city driving is potentially a huge problem as well. City driving can mean just about anything, so it's difficult to compare one person's city MPG to another's.

Unless you could sell your Festiva for more than you pay for a Civic, you'll probably never make up the cost of switching vehicles. MPG gains would likely be low and it sounds like you don't do a whole lot of driving.
And thats why Im here asking because you guys know much more than I when it comes to this stuff.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
I'd use 0w30.

Block heaters usually screw into your coolant drain plug and have a heating element in them. The are also oil pan heaters you can slap on the bottom of your oil pan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Should i look at selling my Festiva to buy a VX or HX? If so which of the 2 is better?
I didn't have the crappy commute you must have, but eventually I was averaging way over 50 mpg in my old 1993 Festiva-L. I had a blast driving Black Widow, and it was super easy to work on and hypermile in.
That's super-low mpg for that car, maybe your timing belt slipped a tooth. Mine did that and ran a tiny bit funky (almost unnoticeable) but it killed my mpg. As soon as I re-timed it the mpg shot back up.

The Following User Says Thank You to cowmeat For This Useful Post:
willie@eco (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie@eco View Post
Nice! Good to know. I do have a little piston slap uppon start up that last a second but thats about it. I think i should do that, change to 5w-30. Now where can i find a good block heater? I dont even really know how they work besides they warm up the engine lol. Please excuse my ignorance lol
This one says it's compatible with a 1992 Festiva: https://www.carid.com/kats-heaters/f...mpn-11411.html

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
The Following User Says Thank You to ThermionicScott For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-08-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
If you're going to change vehicles to get better gas mileage, you'd probably do a lot better buying a hybrid...considering what kind of driving you do. Prius or first gen insight...or maybe the earlier civic hybrid.

Or better yet, buy a Leaf.

Sticking with your vehicle...pumped up tires, grill block, 195f thermostat if it doesn't have one...block heater if you're in a cold enough environment. Or park it in an enclosed/slightly warmer garage. Oh and if you haven't already, tailor your driving style to minimize braking and accelerating. Make sure you have the lightest wheels/tires on it as reasonably possible.

And make sure your car is in tip-top running shape. Advance timing if possible without causing pinging. Put on a warm/hot air intake. If you want to continue from there, it's aero mods and/or more complex work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
willie@eco (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'd use 0w30.

Block heaters usually screw into your coolant drain plug and have a heating element in them. The are also oil pan heaters you can slap on the bottom of your oil pan.
Hmmm! That sounds like something i would definitely try!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I didn't have the crappy commute you must have, but eventually I was averaging way over 50 mpg in my old 1993 Festiva-L. I had a blast driving Black Widow, and it was super easy to work on and hypermile in.
That's super-low mpg for that car, maybe your timing belt slipped a tooth. Mine did that and ran a tiny bit funky (almost unnoticeable) but it killed my mpg. As soon as I re-timed it the mpg shot back up.
I'll have to see, the cam belt was last serviced a few years agoa long with new water pump and thermostat. It does ping when my foot goes past 1/4 throttle in any gear at any speed which i find rather odd...
Old 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
This one says it's compatible with a 1992 Festiva: https://www.carid.com/kats-heaters/f...mpn-11411.html
I'll most definitely look into buying that! Looks like it plugs in? Instead of screwing in? Hmm

Reply  Post New Thread