Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Curved is better than flat. Mair says 22° max, Hucho (IIRC) says never more than 12°.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2015, 01:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

VanDelay - '89 Ford Econoline E-150 XL
90 day: 15.93 mpg (US)

Old White Civic - '98 Honda Civic LX, AT
90 day: 33.18 mpg (US)
How should the rear edges terminate? I think just a plain straight edge would create vortices around its edge?

If a plain straight edge is bad, it should either end in a curve (of what radius?) or in something else...

a) Gurney flap? (see below)

b) ???

If a GF is used wouldn't it benefit from a steeper taper, not that the specific degree of taper actually matters at this point but for clarity, maybe go from the ideal 12-20 degrees up to say 25-30 to prevent the GF from becoming more of a detriment than a benefit?

Since a GF helps airflow stay attached as though the degree of attack were less, I think increasing that angle and using a small GF would help attachment and make the tail work as though it were longer by maintaining attachment all the way to its very end without vortex inducing spillover at its tip. GFs do typically increase Cod though so it would need to be just big enough to work and hopefully there's a better answer for the end of the tail than a GF anyway. Most tails I see on Ecomodder are capped off but I'd be talking about a 5' x 6' cap and that's BIG. That's 5 feet by 6 feet btw, not inches, a panel size most vehicles on here would only have as maybe a belly pan.

Last edited by mwilliamshs; 05-02-2015 at 01:57 AM..
Old 05-02-2015, 04:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
During the 30s a convex rounded end was in style (think 'Dymaxion'), but more lately a sharp crease for fixing the point of separation is in. See the crease added to the back bumper of the latest Prius.The panel inside that separation line can be convex, flat, concave or a recessed box. Concave or convex would be stronger for a given weight than flat, or a flat box.

Here's an example (I like) of a concave or boxed rear end.

http://jalopnik.com/the-renovo-coupe-is-an-electric-shelby-with-1-000-lb-ft-1621969757
Old 05-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
rear edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliamshs View Post
How should the rear edges terminate? I think just a plain straight edge would create vortices around its edge?

If a plain straight edge is bad, it should either end in a curve (of what radius?) or in something else...

a) Gurney flap? (see below)

b) ???

If a GF is used wouldn't it benefit from a steeper taper, not that the specific degree of taper actually matters at this point but for clarity, maybe go from the ideal 12-20 degrees up to say 25-30 to prevent the GF from becoming more of a detriment than a benefit?

Since a GF helps airflow stay attached as though the degree of attack were less, I think increasing that angle and using a small GF would help attachment and make the tail work as though it were longer by maintaining attachment all the way to its very end without vortex inducing spillover at its tip. GFs do typically increase Cod though so it would need to be just big enough to work and hopefully there's a better answer for the end of the tail than a GF anyway. Most tails I see on Ecomodder are capped off but I'd be talking about a 5' x 6' cap and that's BIG. That's 5 feet by 6 feet btw, not inches, a panel size most vehicles on here would only have as maybe a belly pan.
I vote for rounded edges,same radius as front leading vertical edges and horizontal roofline edges.
Some of the sharp rear edges popular today were acoustic 'fixes' for bi-stable flow problems of initial designs which showed up in anechoic wind tunnels.
Kamm advocated bread slice 'burst' chopping,but never did it in practice for himself or clients.