Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

beastie - '89 toyota hilux dolphin motorhome

Puggie - '98 Peugeot 406 Lx
Smile bought old volvo for winter driving

Hi hope this is in right part of forum if not please move to right place thanks dave.
bought sn 1998 volvo s40 2.0 16v with all the toys and a dead clutch for £100. Replaced clutch whay a long involved and difficult job. just to say front suspension and brakes removed drive shafts track control arms as well and then drop engine to get gearbox out. was it worth it YES. beastie was getting 18-20 mpg volvo in snow and ice is returning on 1st half tank 36mpg according to trip computer. will be better when volvo under engine tray and front spoiler replaced. tyres have had an extra 3psi over standard.will but template over volvo and see how to clean up aero even more. grill block on cards but need to check best engine temp for fuel economy. trip computer gives me an extact temp of engine currently running at 85c. trip computer give instant mpg average mpg and range left on tank of fuel maybe not as accurate as scan gauge but gives me an idea of driving eco friendly way.
Any other ideas let me know.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

a quick update
after doing a 250 mile round trip in snow and some city driving average mpg is still 36 mpg but on a roads was averaging 40mpg. need to fix gear shift so i can engauge 4th gear this should give me another 2 mpg. engine has a fat torque band will pull in 5th from 30 mph. service is due so new plugs filters and oil change will be done when adverse weather lifts. thunderstorms and heavy snow wind chill factor below -10c. not smart to work on car in this weather.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2006 V50 owner here.

What do you conclude made the difference in mileage? Your manual 4 cyl is probably better than my auto 5 cyl for mileage. I get 32MPG on highway trips and ~26 around town.

I don't think there's much potential for grill block - Volvo has done a lot of that thinking already.

The only major areo mods I see are a lawn-edging chin spoiler and rear wheel spats.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hi
Sorry for late reply wife had been in hospital for op and juggling work etc etc. biggest gain would be from tyre pressures extra 4psi on low profile tyres (55) has made the ride abit harsher. also keeping engine revs below 3000 rpm helps thats about 68-69 mph in 5th. most of the roads i drive on are 60mph limit with little or no traffic. will see if undertray and front spoiler now installed change mpg. yes autos will drink fuel around town but if cruising in top with lock up should get near manual mpg figures. more cynlinders even on same size engine produce worse mpg. eg 2.0 4 pot will always be better than a 2.0 6 poy.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Unhappy winter weather ruined this tank for mpg

Hi
had to drive to work in a hail storm. hail i thought was going so smash windscreen due to size and furiousty. white out in hail storm. water underneath hail stones on road felt like i was pushing hail out of way and car was squiming all over road. not eco driving weather. tonight med office say clear skys just back with dog and its a blizzard with 40mph winds. ummmm if i stay above 30mpg it will be a stunning reasult. at least volvos were built for these conditions.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hi
after weather bomb hit no power for 4 days. Winds touched 130mph. Then 2 days of thunder snow and hail. Volvo excelled itself in most alpalling weather conditions blizzards and worse hail storms in living memory. Know how storm chasers feel not an experience to repeat. DID NOT DRIVE UNTILL WIND DROPPED TO 40-50MPH. With winter tyres could go everywhere a 4wd went on roads. Average mpg is 37.8. Amazing considering winter fuel mix and having to run demister heated mirrors etc etc and using wrong gear for eco driving.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hi another update driving to work today 26 miles of frozen snow got caught in a convoy of 4WD never seen so much twitching on a road car my old volvo on winter tyres rock solid. Ummmm makes me think what is better for winter driving. A 4wd will never get an average of 40mpg in winter enguage 4wd and winter tyres it will plummet. Only downside on volvo is lack of ground clearance max 1ft but nearer 9".
Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
The lower ground clearance is one of the reasons for better stability.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Now a low slung 4wd would be ideal BUT would have a mpg negative effect.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Angry

Hi last tank and this will of gone to pot. First tank fuel pipe split and pumped gallons of fuel into engine compartment :-(. Second tank exhaust decided to blow a 1-2" hole in the first silencer. Noise and drone made it very tiring to drive. Bodge up temp repair with coke can and jubilee clips until it can be replaced. With blizzards and 4" snow forcast daily for next week might put off replacement. Might even upgrade exhaust with straight through silencers to see if it bumps up mpg. Engine under tray and front spoiler replaced. Volvo have flattern alot of the underside but rear valance is like a parachute so will concenrate on this.

Reply  Post New Thread