Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #131 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
AC motor with good torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I would like a 3 phase AC motor on my motorcycle just because it would have better low end torque and would run cooler
The HPEVS systems appear to have OK torque on the low end, but nothing to compare to a series DC. Their rated power output is somewhere above 5000 rpm, if memory serves.

Is there a new system out that I should be looking at?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #132 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

Have you considered using this motor?
Plettenberg Industrieanwendung Nova

Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #133 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

***UPDATE***

I have acquired a few batteries from an battery UPS we have at work. I have a few mixed batteries, but they're all lead-acid. I'm wondering if I can mix voltages and amps.

I have 8 12v 3Amp batteries and then I have 2 larger 12v and I believe they're 6Amp batteries.

I wanted to run them in a series parallel if I can. But first, can I mix the larger am batteries with the smaller?

Take note that I'm not using these as my permanent setup at all. I'm just using them to test out the bike and get things rolling up and down the road. Then I can finish wiring lights and stuff.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #134 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Yep, you can do that. You wouldn't want to for a finished project, but for testing its fine.

Be aware that those tiny batteries won't be able to put out much amperage at all. Your voltage is going to sag like crazy if you try to pull any decent power out of them.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #135 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Yep, you can do that. You wouldn't want to for a finished project, but for testing its fine.

Be aware that those tiny batteries won't be able to put out much amperage at all. Your voltage is going to sag like crazy if you try to pull any decent power out of them.
Yeah, I know. They were free and I just wanted something to get it rolling up and down the street while I learn how to do the electrical work. Rather than let the bike sit in the garage while I save up for some batteries I figured I'd use these to learn and understand how the whole wiring works and how the charging system will work.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
re: chain rub, sorry I missed it, another option for more clearance in your situation to keep about the same ratio is a smaller front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket. (or just a smaller front or rear if you want to tweak the ratio).

Also like the cutting board idea, cam chain tensioners been using chunks of nylon for ages. cut a strip, heat it, bend it around the tube, screw it down. (honestly the skateboard wheel looks weak, on many levels)

Last edited by P-hack; 03-06-2014 at 02:25 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #137 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Updates. Here they are.

So I hooked up a small 12v battery to the bike and it works. Well, I just directly connected it to the motor. Nothing is really wired yet. But the chain moves and the wheel turns.

And now I have funds for batteries. So I'm thinking about amp hour. I was shooting for 60 Ah. And I was looking for those prismatic pouch cells. Does anyone have a link to a reputable seller of these? I hear victpower is a good one, but I was up for an hour last night looking for a way to purchase through them without haggling over email.

Also, what advantages would these pouch batteries have over say, CALB or Sinopoly?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #138 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

I assume you're talking about using A123 cells. Their advantage is power density, and arguably cell life. Those little 20Ah cells can really dump out a LOT of amps, and do it quite happily. Internal cell resistance is low, and the cells don't heat up. This leads to longer life as well. I believe that leads to less voltage sag too. You do have to pay for it though.

I also thought the source for these cells had dried up since you can't buy directly from A123, and they really don't have distributors. They only seem to want to sell to OEMs. Too bad too because they are wonderful batteries.

The main problem with these cells is packaging. You have to come up with your own way to connect them. Personally, unless I got a great deal on them, I would probably just go with the CALB CA (grey) cells. They're also quite impressive, and the packaging is SO much easier to deal with. They're also cheaper.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #139 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post

The main problem with these cells is packaging. You have to come up with your own way to connect them. Personally, unless I got a great deal on them, I would probably just go with the CALB CA (grey) cells. They're also quite impressive, and the packaging is SO much easier to deal with. They're also cheaper.
CALBs are what I was looking at. About to pull the trigger on this purchase, but I was looking at other possible resources before I dropped $2000+ on batteries.

Are there any good/preferred CALB vendors?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #140 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

I know TheSGC bought his CALB cells from EVolve Electrics. They dont have CALB CA cells listed though, only the older SE series (blue). For more than that, I'd check diyelectriccar. They have a lot more people buying cells over there and their users definitely let you know if they have problems with a shop.