Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
... so caveat emptor, cave canem and carpe dinero, or whatever.
...sounds like a cautious buyer who's wary of dogs is seizing the money (wink,wink)!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
Isn't that another example of the hypocrisy? Why is it that a logging community is considered the antipathy of all things green? I grew up in a community with lots of logging and most everybody understood "sustainability" long before it became a buzword--forest management, not overlogging, etc. was considered plain old common sense, not because it was "green" but because it would make you more money in the long run.

My grandfather did a lot of fur trapping. Again, my most standards extremely anti-green. However, he always took the long-term view, watching the animal populations, etc. He trapped most areas for nearly 50 years and when he died there were just as many animals as when he started. How is that not "green"?

Same thing goes for your paper mills--aren't they much better than people using tins of plastic? I never did understand why stores switched from paper to plastic in the name of being green and saving trees. Hello? Trees grow back--plastic bags don't.

...getting off soapbox.
Logging and pulp mills could be green, here in B.C they are not.
The pulp mills has been dumping their affluent in the inlet for 50 years, brown tainted water, no life on the shores, not a insect or sand crab no seaweed/kelp or muscles,not any life at all for at least 3 miles distance.

Our forest are clear cut every 30 to 40 years, completely and utterly destroyed, even the stumps ,branches , snags and small trees are plowed into a pile and burned.
Imagine a mountain skinned of all life and cover for animals and you are imagining how they log here in Canada.

*But* both the pulp mill and the logging practices could be green and should be green.
Until then they come with a massive cost to the health of the environment.

The stewardship is lacking.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...sounds like a cautious buyer who's wary of dogs is seizing the money (wink,wink)!
Just don't carpe the canem. Those things have sharp teeth.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I noticed a recycling emblem on some plastic chairs at work, with the words " the reason for the resin - fully recyclable "

At first I - like everyone else - thought the chairs were made from recycled plastic.

Nope. Recyclable

I flipped the chair over and it was # 7 plastic - a plastic that most facilities reject.

Jerks.

Sort of like ShopVac brand vacuums. On the box it has a big logo that says " We're an American brand ! "

Made in the USA of global components .

So by having the thing ASSEMBLED in the USA , they can say its made here.

Or like the bottom of my Apple laptop that says " designed in California "

....um.....yah....so what ! It's made in China !
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Locally produced foods suffer because they lack economy of scale. That's also where they benefit- Farmer Joe the next town over isn't going to dump melamine in your milk to try to make an extra nickel per railcar load.

I've got a friend who worked on merchant ships for years. He saw too many shiploads of imported food getting fumigated to eat anything that isn't local now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...ask the military and aerospace boys about "tin whiskers" as we've been aware and fighting this issue since the 1980's. It's not a good thing to have a multi-billion dollar satellite sudden "die" in space because a 'whisker' has grown long enough to contact something it shouldn't; nor to have your air-to-missle go "ballistic" instead of chasing the enemy during an aerial dogfight.

...ironically, the medical business (pacemakers, defibrillators, etc.) hasn't had 'whisker' problems (yet).
Military and Aerospace has been dealing with it for far longer than that.

Medical equipment tends to be at a constant temperature and free from vibration where as Military/Aerospace, and many consumer products will see wide temperature swings as well as high vibration/shock which accelerates whisker growth. Also the lead free solders typically are less durable mechanically under those types of stress.

Reply  Post New Thread