Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pollock Pines, CA 4000' Elevation
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can a wide band O2 sensor be tested?

How does one test a wide band o2 sensor without hooking it up to a controller? Is it possible with a dvm? From what I've read it looks like it is not possible without an oscilloscope. Is this true?

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
T-100 Road Warrior
 
BamZipPow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 1,902

BZP T-100 (2010) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 24 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2011) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 23.66 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2009) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 19.01 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2012) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 25.45 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2013) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 25.79 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2014) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.18 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2015) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.85 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2016) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 17.62 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2017) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.78 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2018) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 current (2019) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

BZP T-100 (2020) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Thanks: 3,425
Thanked 1,365 Times in 949 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to BamZipPow
I don't believe that a DMM will be fast enough to capture the voltage as it rises and falls according to the sensor reacting to the hydrocarbons in the exhaust flow. Keep in mind that this changes rather rapidly in a second. What are you trying to achieve?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver
 
RobertSmalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Posts: 2,258

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Thanks: 79
Thanked 283 Times in 196 Posts
Google Image Search says you probably don't need a 'scope for a wideband: Oxygen (O2) Sensor – Narrowband vs Wideband Boost Source

Tap in to the correct wire at the ECU, drive until warm, vary the AFR with your right foot, and let us know what happens.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mwebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 510

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
Thanks: 2
Thanked 101 Times in 74 Posts
no or yes , depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
How does one test a wide band o2 sensor without hooking it up to a controller? Is it possible with a dvm? From what I've read it looks like it is not possible without an oscilloscope. Is this true?
can not be done
do you mean AFR sensor ? even a scope can not be used .
How 5-Wire Sensors Work (Tech Edge)

with a scan tool testing an OBD2 system ...
you can follow STFT , or EQ ratio graph it if you can . STFT or Eq ratio should swing around 3 to 5 % and center on zero .

quick test is to see if STFT will settle on zero during a steady state . if no
almost always the AFR sensor is skewed or biased high or low , but an exhaust leak upstream of the AFR sensor OR after the cat or a fraked rear 02 sensor can cause rear trim to influence STFT .

an aftermarket AFR sensor in your hand
can not be tested .

the heater resistance can be tested and compared to a specification
but , that is about it .
resistance testing is about as useless as mudflaps on a sledgehammer
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pollock Pines, CA 4000' Elevation
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
can not be done
do you mean AFR sensor ? even a scope can not be used .
How 5-Wire Sensors Work (Tech Edge)

with a scan tool testing an OBD2 system ...
you can follow STFT , or EQ ratio graph it if you can . STFT or Eq ratio should swing around 3 to 5 % and center on zero .

quick test is to see if STFT will settle on zero during a steady state . if no
almost always the AFR sensor is skewed or biased high or low , but an exhaust leak upstream of the AFR sensor OR after the cat or a fraked rear 02 sensor can cause rear trim to influence STFT .

an aftermarket AFR sensor in your hand
can not be tested .

the heater resistance can be tested and compared to a specification
but , that is about it .
resistance testing is about as useless as mudflaps on a sledgehammer
That's what I thought. There is a flow chart in the vx service manual where one of the results is replace LAF sensor, but that is in a chassis.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mwebb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 510

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
Thanks: 2
Thanked 101 Times in 74 Posts
Snapon MT2500 / Solus or OTC Genesis with OBD1 Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwhisperer View Post
That's what I thought. There is a flow chart in the vx service manual where one of the results is replace LAF sensor, but that is in a chassis.
many repair shops and many individual independent Techs
have
Snapon MT2500 / Solus or OTC Genesis with OBD1 Honda software

that software will show some type of PID for fuel trim in Live data
the fuel trim should change rapidly about +/- 3 to 5% and it should center the bounce on zero fuel trim adjustment
at 2000rpm hot in neutral all accessories turned off .

for any early 90s honda .

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com