Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doviatt View Post
My experience shows logic doesn't work on women very often.
...if ever?!

The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
chumly (02-23-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Karmann Eclectric

Odysseus - '00 Honda Odyssey

MR BEAN - '12 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE

Karmann Eclectric - '71 VW Karmann Ghia Electric Conversion

BOB - '87 Ford 250 Lariat ext cab
Poor ba$tards, my Chinese wife is a Vulcan-like creature of pure logic when it comes to any operational or financial decision. (That's even somewhat unique among the chinesey women, but thrift is a universal virtue in that culture...) We swap vehicles daily based upon who will put on the most miles.

USMC- Are any emotional connections possible, like making her car last longer, less likely to scratch something, or just feeling calmer during one's daily journeys? My wife reacted with great concern for her "baby" the first time I made her Civic downshift 2 gears on an uphill highway- she had never pressed through the resistance 'step' to the second half of pedal travel!!

I usually lose to her on MPG comparisons though, because pulse-and-glide conspires with my inner street racer, and blood must be pooling in my ever-heavier right foot on long highway drives (or something like that), while she always stays slow n steady with zero over-analysis or strategizing.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
My wife is quite logical for a woman. She has adopted most of the efficient driving techniques I use, and now gets close to the same MPG as I do. Very impressive considering I just taught her how to drive stick last year. She is just the type that can recognize a better way to do something when it's presented to her, and adapt to the change.

That said, I wouldn't sweat it much if the wife doesn't take to eco driving. Different people have different priorities. Personally, I find it dissatisfying waiting at lights and prefer to coast while they are red. Others find it more relaxing to race to them and sit.

I tend to drive slower when it's just me in the car and the time wasted is only mine, but I drive faster when I have more people and more cumulative time being wasted. This applies to freeway driving, but going faster between lights doesn't make any difference in arrival time.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #24 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I had, and still have that issue. I have my car cost.

261/month
hers is 238/month.

I get 35-45 mpg
she gets 24-27 mpg.

I pay 538 for two cars, 410 for one before the second car discount.
She pays 460 for one.

I have a 2012 Mustang, and she has a 2008 base model Escape. When she makes bad decisions, I bring these and other facts up. Slowly, but surely, she had been adjusting. After her second speeding ticket she got better. As others have stated, you can't make her care about something she, well, doesn't care about. If you find what she values, and connect it, it might work.

Even now, I still find her accelerating to red lights, sitting for easily two minutes without cutting the engine, even little things like turning off the engine before park gear. She cares a bit, but not enough. Not enough motivation.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MyCar - '93 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.35 mpg (US)

Christine - '07 Honda Civic
90 day: 41.47 mpg (US)
JRAY3- She doesn't really drive hard enough that it's wearing parts any faster, she just drives like the average person. But her thought on problems with vehicles is myself and her dad are mechanics so we can fix it. But then she complains about the price of the parts, so I guess we come right back around to the logic thing!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Two words, "Speedometer Calibration".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Superfuelgero For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (02-21-2014), MetroMPG (02-21-2014), mikeyjd (02-21-2014), Xist (02-22-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Buy her flowers, obviously something else is wrong in your marriage which necessitates a thorough diagnosis.

Either that or bribe her with chocolates and say "oh these came in the mail today from those wonderful guys over at ecomodder.com, I wonder what I did to deserve this, it must be the excellent mileage I've been getting".

Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I tend to drive slower when it's just me in the car and the time wasted is only mine, but I drive faster when I have more people and more cumulative time being wasted. This applies to freeway driving, but going faster between lights doesn't make any difference in arrival time.
I was thinking about this on my way home today. I've noticed it before, but the last week or two it's been more prominent, like almost every trip. Obviously from red to red, you can easily catch up. But what I have noticed is that when on the freeway I will get passed by a certain vehicle. I pay special attention to this particular vehicle because it's one I like (ooh, one of those...) or it has a feature that is undeniable (like a company logo). After they pass me, I forget about them and when I exit a mile away or or 5 miles away, etc., guess who I see sitting at the first light, the same light I will have to sit at!

Long story short, even on the freeway, it doesn't really make sense to drive like the cops are chasing you, we'll still end up getting to the same red light and get the same green light at the same time.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
I was thinking about this on my way home today. I've noticed it before, but the last week or two it's been more prominent, like almost every trip. Obviously from red to red, you can easily catch up. But what I have noticed is that when on the freeway I will get passed by a certain vehicle. I pay special attention to this particular vehicle because it's one I like (ooh, one of those...) or it has a feature that is undeniable (like a company logo). After they pass me, I forget about them and when I exit a mile away or or 5 miles away, etc., guess who I see sitting at the first light, the same light I will have to sit at!

Long story short, even on the freeway, it doesn't really make sense to drive like the cops are chasing you, we'll still end up getting to the same red light and get the same green light at the same time.
I noticed this same thing when I had the Metro. I drove pretty slow and would love to watch people fight to get around me. Once they did, we'd all get to the same traffic light together. I laughed because I was getting 40+ mpg and would get to work 30 seconds after them (Navy base traffic, most of the traffic in town is to get to one of he bases...).
Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
HINT -- Flowers = YES, Chocolates = NO!

Because the NEXT inevitable question will be, "...Do they make me look fat?," and will ALWAYS get you in trouble.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
chumly (02-23-2014), ECONORAM (02-25-2014), Xist (02-22-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread