Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Car seats and weights....

I have still not made up my mind what I want to do with seats in my project car, while there are plenty of "high end" carbon fiber and even more lighter material seats, they are $$$$ typically when the weight is anywhere "interesting".

For now I have (one) of these seats I just picked up locally for $10 on Craigslist but I don't really think I will keep it in my daily driver (as I plan it to be) (not my pic but some random pic off the web):

Anyway, once you start looking at "acceptable" price range (I mean NO I am not paying $2000 for seats just to save a few dollars on gas! I am not looking to race the car..) the weight savings aren't really there.

So I have started to look at factory seats from other cars, as a cheaper alternative but it's next into impossible to find any list of weight of factory car seats (plenty of info on BABY car seats! ) any input would be great!

I mean this was of tremendous help when it came to choosing WHEELs for the car: http://www.wheelweights.net/ want something similar for seats!

Car is a 1994 VW Golf btw

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
You might want to look into used racecar seats. As I understand it, certain parts have to be replaced after a certain period of time (helmets and I believe seats). If you're okay with buying used, you can just peruse for sale sections for performance cars/racing forums. You might be able to find a pretty good deal.

In my experience, 15-20 lbs is the lowest weight you're going to see for seats in a reasonable price range. And depending on how heavy your stock seats were, you might only be seeing about a 10-15 lbs savings. Some seats have built-in airbags, so they might be even heavier.

Regardless, weight savings (ironically enough) tends to be the most costly of all modifications one can do to a car.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post

Regardless, weight savings (ironically enough) tends to be the most costly of all modifications one can do to a car.
Yeah aside from throwing out stuff (and maybe even selling some )

I've been pretty fortunate so far with Miata wheels and CF hood both used etc...
Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Yeah, it cost me nothing to lose the jack and spare donut (I have a flat fixing kit and free road-side assistance), and that saved me almost 50 lbs alone. Hah, and not to mention the fact that I also have significantly more trunk space now. :-P
Old 12-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
I replaced my drivers seat with the seat you show in the picture. I had to get an aluminum plate so I could mount the seat to the old seat tracks and the new seat hole pattern. I did it this way since the seat belt reciever was part of the seat track. Weighing what I took out with what I put in I saved 9 lbs.

I also got a high density pad that you take to football game for the bleachers. Still need to figure out how to secure pad so I don't have to "adjust" everytime I get in.

In general I'm willing to spend 1-2 dollars per pound of weight saved. So my lighter wheels cost me $6-$7 per pound, seat cost about $2 after cost of alluminum, AAA membership and can of fix a flat to save 27lbs of spare and jack = less then 2 dollars per year.