Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria , Australia.
Posts: 499
Thanks: 20
Thanked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Carbon fibre wheels.

Leading on from the "Aluminium Radials" thread on this board.

In the 1970's Citroen experimented with Carbon fibre wheels for their SM model.
Sadly little progress seems to have been made since then.

Does any one know of a source for these for road cars?

And why do F1 , Indy cars etc not use them?

Cheers , Pete.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 12-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Auburn, NH
Posts: 451

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter7307 View Post
Leading on from the "Aluminium Radials" thread on this board.

In the 1970's Citroen experimented with Carbon fibre wheels for their SM model.
Sadly little progress seems to have been made since then.

Does any one know of a source for these for road cars?

And why do F1 , Indy cars etc not use them?

Cheers , Pete.
My guess would be the heat generated by the brakes.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
I read something on this awhile back... there are a few companies (at least one) overseas that make CF wheels, but they're not available for street use.

I *think* it has something to do with torsional loading, etc, that makes them more likely to decay and be damaged in short order vs. alloy wheels.

Even if you could get them, and get them imported, it's still illegal to run them on the street, as they're not D.O.T. Approved, and probably won't be any time soon. I'm sure there is a concern over the wheels being made of "fabric" or something.

This, of course, applies to US DOT, not Aussie. Have no idea about foreign (to me) countries.
__________________
"Ņʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ex-lurker
 
i_am_socket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jersey
Posts: 571

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've been eyeing up a set of carbon fiber wheels:



__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Do those have tires on them?

I saw somewhere... (might have been a joke) latex compound bike tires... very low weight rating, but they were supposedly LRR tires for bikes..
__________________
"Ņʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tallmadge, OH
Posts: 313
Thanks: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Most "carbon" bicycle wheels are only carbon fairings attached to an aluminum rim. The properties of the aluminum make it less likely to self destruct in a pot hole or something like that. After seeing a true carbon wheel colapse after a 5mph collision with a dog in the Tour de France there is no way I'd want one on my car.

As far as sturdy bicycle wheels I like American Classic's line of aero rims. The difference in aero is negligable for us mere mortals, the wheel is lighter, and costs a lot less.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
38 time NHRA/IHRA Champ
 
ATaylorRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 305
Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Back in the 80's Carroll Shelby was building some great little hot rods based on fwd Chrysler platforms. The Shadow based 89 CSX had fiberglass reinforced plastic rims called fiberides. They were lighter than the alloy wheels but never really took off and to find a 89 model with those is EXTREMELY rare considering that they only made 500 of the Shelby CXTs. The wheels were fine for road use, but on road couses many of our Shelby/Dodge Auto Club members have found that the centers start to melt causing the lug holes to soften up and wallow out!

89 CSX-VNT Info
__________________
42 time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ

05 SRT4-12.17@117 mph on DOTs-31.0 mpg-SOLD
96 Geo Metro-3 banger-60.1 mpg-SOLD
95 BMW M3-13.41 @ 106 mph-31mpg-SOLD
77 Chevy Monza with 350/350-FOR SALE
84 Horizon-1880 lbs-29 mpg
95 Neon-43 mpg
99 Z28-10.80 @ 127 mph-27.1mpg
2011 Prius-62.1 wife's
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
dichotomous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 142

CivySi - '03 honda civic SI
90 day: 31.99 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikin' Ed View Post
Most "carbon" bicycle wheels are only carbon fairings attached to an aluminum rim. The properties of the aluminum make it less likely to self destruct in a pot hole or something like that. After seeing a true carbon wheel colapse after a 5mph collision with a dog in the Tour de France there is no way I'd want one on my car.

As far as sturdy bicycle wheels I like American Classic's line of aero rims. The difference in aero is negligable for us mere mortals, the wheel is lighter, and costs a lot less.
you remember the TV show "pacific blue" which had all kinds of bike cops? those were all spinergy carbon wheels. there is an al strip on each side but the rest is cf, spokes and all.

there are carbon wheels out there for cars, very rare, race only.
there are more options for carbon wheels for bikes and motorcycles
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
CobraBall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Texas
Posts: 112
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter7307 View Post
Leading on from the "Aluminium Radials" thread on this board.

In the 1970's Citroen experimented with Carbon fibre wheels for their SM model.
Sadly little progress seems to have been made since then.

Does any one know of a source for these for road cars?

And why do F1 , Indy cars etc not use them?

Cheers , Pete.
F1 & Indy race cars have many Carbon Fiber components but no CF wheels because
... given this characteristic of CF to delaminate (essentiall shatters into shards and dust, much like glass would) it is much too risky to use it for the wheels of an open wheeled race car capable of speeds in excess of 300km/h. Given the high potential for contact of all sorts in open wheel racing, I canít imagine seeing a car traveling at those speeds and having itís wheels delaminate from an impact and essentially turn into dust leaving only the rubber behind.

Carbon fiber is beyond EXPENSIVE. Up to $59 per yard.
Carbon Fiber/Graphite from Aircraft Spruce

The CF wheel in the attachment weighs 6.1 lbs. and cost $4000 per wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbon Fiber Wheel, 6.1 lbs..jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2408  
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 15,287
Thanks: 23,408
Thanked 6,914 Times in 4,411 Posts
fiberides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
Back in the 80's Carroll Shelby was building some great little hot rods based on fwd Chrysler platforms. The Shadow based 89 CSX had fiberglass reinforced plastic rims called fiberides. They were lighter than the alloy wheels but never really took off and to find a 89 model with those is EXTREMELY rare considering that they only made 500 of the Shelby CXTs. The wheels were fine for road use, but on road couses many of our Shelby/Dodge Auto Club members have found that the centers start to melt causing the lug holes to soften up and wallow out!

89 CSX-VNT Info
I attempted to locate a single wheel over the wrecking-lot parts-locater network for an Earth-Day exhibit and never scored.I understand that they weigh only about 8-pounds.Should one of your race friends want to part with one of the "ruined" wheels,I might purchase one for future exhibits.For street use they might have been okay,as they did receive DOT certification.From a mass standpoint they're quite remarkable!

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civic VX wheels or aftermarket? travr6 EcoModding Central 8 03-07-2010 06:37 PM
New Wheels & Tires trikkonceptz Success Stories 9 11-03-2008 02:05 PM
The finest Chinese cr*p that money can buy. (wheels & tires) lyd EcoModding Central 13 09-30-2008 05:41 PM
fs so cal; set of four vx wheels and old tires getnpsi For Sale 1 09-19-2008 08:34 AM
Carbon fiber getting cheaper? SVOboy EcoModding Central 24 05-23-2008 10:31 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com