Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Caz
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
Thanks! I just read through his entire thread, now on his 94vx thread. HUGE amounts of info. Like his philosophy too. Do only what will return $.

I actually want something exactly like he has in that 94vx, a honda hatch, except I think I will go cheaper than his...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
That's a nice rig, but mileage-wise it's not so easy to upgrade it without mods. Regarding the engine, you could easily get the cam regrinded for a longer intake valve timing (just like any "Atkinson" engine used in the hybrids) and a supercharger to generate backpressure and overcome the power and torque losses from the discompression due to the longer valve timing...

Anyway, shaving it a little to decrease the drag (removing those roof bars, getting a windscreen-mounted antenna for the radio, among other tricks) might already improve it a little. And in such a big, heavy vehicle I bet you can find lots of spots to take some dead weight away
Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
What I would suggest with your Jeep is similar to what I did with my 2000 Jimmy; use a ScanGauge or equivalent to find you gas mileage at all speeds from 70 down to 40 in 5 mph increments with A-B-A testing. Once you've done that, you'll know what your best mpg speed is. Then wherever possible, drive at that speed. If it's too slow to be safe on a freeway, try to find an alternate route where you can do it and blend in with traffic better.

Second, I found that blocking off the grille gave me about 2 mpg improvement. But keep an eye on the temp gauge to make sure the radiator is still getting enough air.

Third, pump up your tires to max pressure, or if you're brave, even a bit more - 50 or 60 works good.

Finally, when I took the roof rack off, it gave me a 0.4 mpg increase. Since I almost never used it, and it's not all that hard to put back on, that was an easy decision!

With these four things, I was able to get 26 mpg on a tank. What did NOT help much were deleting the wipers, folding the mirrors back, or doing rear fender skirts. Those things help some people, but didn't on my Jimmy.

Oh, go with Mobil-1 synthetic oil, as thin as you dare. I just put 0w20 in my Swift. Had been using 0w30 during the summer...

Then get fanatical about coasting up to stops. Always scope out the next intersection & try to figure out how soon you can pop it into neutral and coast and still make it. Hopefully, you will get good enough you won't have to brake much. Ideally, as you're rolling up to the intersection, the light will turn green, traffic will start moving, and you can avoid coming to full stops. Taking off from a rolling condition takes far less fuel than taking off from a full stop. I even try to park on slopes so I can start rolling before I even start the engine.

Doing these things will probably help you a lot, but I too doubt a V8 Jeep will get 30 mpg. I hit 30 in my Jimmy a couple times during testing at 40 mph, but never could get that for a whole tank.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Without any mechanical mod a V8 Jeep wouldn't get 30MPG, but it's not really an impossible goal.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Caz
EcoModding Lurker

Officially my MPG is roughly ~14.5 even with hypermiling. Gahhhhddwammmmn.

Looks like this sucker is getting parked or sold unless I need it.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
The current Honda Insight is most likely being phased out in 2014. Sales have been slow on this hybrid, which all means you can get great bargains on the last ones.
Love it or hate it, it is comparable to the Gen3 Prius in many ways - very slightly smaller, very slightly less economical; but a lot cheaper, especially nowadays.

Like to point you to this post on InsightCentral of someone who replaced a Ram truck with an Insight; and earns back the loan in fuel savings with room to spare.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Looks like this sucker is getting parked or sold unless I need it.
At least you'll have some time to lurk about viable eco mods if you won't be selling it. And the savings achieved with the Honda can eventually be also directed (at least partially) to the Jeep ecomodding project if you decide to do so. BTW have you never lurked about a Diesel swap?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Caz
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Redevil, I'll check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
At least you'll have some time to lurk about viable eco mods if you won't be selling it. And the savings achieved with the Honda can eventually be also directed (at least partially) to the Jeep ecomodding project if you decide to do so. BTW have you never lurked about a Diesel swap?
You mean dropping a diesel engine in the jeep I have? Then no. This thing is a behemoth.

Just did a small test, hypermiling mpg=14.5, a$$hole driving=14.8 This car is weird. Going to try 93 Octane and see what happens. Its suppose to get 93, I've been using 87 the last few weeks. $50 at the pump every week is getting old really quick.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
You mean dropping a diesel engine in the jeep I have? Then no. This thing is a behemoth.
There are some Diesel engines more suitable to that beast than a TDI

Quote:
If you still want to keep the V8, why don't you start considering to "millerize" it regrinding the cams to get a longer intake valve timing, a supercharger to overcome the discompression and eventually a slight increasement to the static compression by lowering the heads a little? That would improve the overall efficiency of the engine while you would still have some room for improvement in other parts of that rig. BTW every V8 looks great with a blower...

Last edited by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr; 11-22-2013 at 05:52 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread