Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

civic - '95 Honda Civic DX 3 door hatchback
90 day: 49.27 mpg (US)

SV - '03 Suzuki SV650 S
90 day: 52.23 mpg (US)
Talking CFD civic

I am a few credits shy of a B.S. in Mech. Eng. with a minor in fluid dynamics and just started using a really sweet CFD setup.

Im playing with Ansys CFX right now and now wish a I had a model of my civic. I can upload most major 3d modeling files so if i had a model right now i could mesh it and start doing some real simulations.

There are some websites that sell them for $40-$100 for a single model! Definitely not spending money on a drawing. I have solidworks but its gonna take forever to do it from scratch so if anyone has a 3d model of a 5th gen hatchback you should email it to me!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Lightbulb Is this the car?

I quick used Google to look up "5th Generation honda hatchback" to get an idea of the age range and look of the 5th gen while looking about...

And then headed to a model site I tended to use to grab car models, 3dextras.com

It DOES require a login/registration, but at least when I did it long ago, it does NOT require any pacts with the devil, or per download costs...

Here's what I dug up on their site, not looking too seriously

3DXtras.com - Free 3D Model : Honda CRX-3 . Join us, share and download our free 3D Models

It's a 3d-MAX file format with materials/colours defined. I've been able to pull these up in Rhino3d before; it should pull up in Solidworks, too.

Hope that suits your needs, and you can't get it to download, say so, drop me a PM with your email, and I'll grab it and send it your way.
lilcivic (04-16-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I recently got my BSME, and I paid attention during Heat Transfer 301 and 302, so I understand the principles of CFD.

I tried to pick up ANSYS CFX to compare a boat-tailed Insight against a stock Insight and locate aerodynamic deficiencies before building the first prototype. However, I couldn't generate a valid mesh for any models I drew in Pro/E. I even tried to make a mesh from a cube I drew in Pro/E, and I still got dozens of unconnected verticies and other fatal mesher failures.

I've resolved to have a little faith in the science behind the design, just build it, and see what happens.

If you have any more success with CFX than I did, I'd like to read about it.

Attached is a crude model of an Insight, created from a projection of front, side, and top views, with a detachable tail extension based on Aerohead's template.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Insight.zip.notxls.xls (754.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

civic - '95 Honda Civic DX 3 door hatchback
90 day: 49.27 mpg (US)

SV - '03 Suzuki SV650 S
90 day: 52.23 mpg (US)
I was mostly pumped that I got the software all up and working at all. Learning how to use it well is another story. I've used some more primative software in school but nothing like this package. I suspect the limitations of this program will lie in the user in most cases.

Chrstphr - thats an 1st gen crx, i had an 86 that looked just like that. I registered to that site and it says i can't download it:
"You have used all your daily download credits (total credit : / )"

Robertsmalls - which solidworks version is that drawn in? It opens the ProE to SW converted and tried both import directly and analyze completely with no luck.

Last edited by lilcivic; 04-16-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Old 04-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
I whipped that up in Pro/E Wildfire 4.0. Maybe that's a poor choice from a compatibility perspective?

Reply  Post New Thread