Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2022, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
101Volts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 502

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 17.01 mpg (US)
Thanks: 930
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
What if there was a VERY easy way to ceramic coat the diff's wearing and bearing surfaces and the ceramic coat was 80X slipperier than steel-oil-steel and 85% the hardness of diamond..??

Sounds too good to be true right?
Snooping around Argonne National Labs' web site will do 2 things:
  • Allow you to do exactly that.
  • Make it so you actually believe the claim..!
I have:
  • Restored, smokey, worn old engines to health, with a noticeable improvement in fuel economy or power, depending on how heavy your foot is. (Ceramic Layer is 0.5 micron thick. Thats a total of -2 microns of play in a bearing or piston/cylinder)
  • 'Buggered up' a gearbox as the syncros (that rely on friction) stopped working to the point that required the 'gear changing without a clutch' trick.
  • Restored whiney old diffs. (non Limited slip! Unless you want to unlimit it!)
OK, interesting. But where on the website is it located? What did you search, or could you please link the article?

https://www.anl.gov/

__________________



  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 11-07-2022, 11:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
DieselMiser
 
ConnClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richland,WA
Posts: 981

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Thanks: 46
Thanked 229 Times in 158 Posts
I figured I would post an update. I'm holding on to higher mpgs longer than I did last year. I can still hit 27mpg on the trip to work in the mornings. Last year I could only get 25 to 26mpg this time of year. We will see what happens when we get sustained temps below freezing. Last year I could only get 24mpg then.

Lets hope the cold weather performance continues to be better.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ConnClark For This Useful Post:
101Volts (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 01:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 24,357
Thanks: 6,875
Thanked 7,746 Times in 6,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Volts
But where on the website is it located? What did you search, or could you please link the article?
Why did you Thank him when he didn't answer your question. ???
__________________
.
.

Without freedom of speech we wouldn't know who all the idiots are. -- anonymous poster
____________________

"Stuff just keeps on getting older...." -- Graham Hancock

____________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: South Africa
Posts: 126
Thanks: 51
Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101Volts View Post
OK, interesting. But where on the website is it located? What did you search, or could you please link the article?

https://www.anl.gov/
A link to links:
https://www.google.com/search?q=agrg...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Important point:
Boric Oxide + water = Boric Acid.
Which is what forms the ceramic layer on the metal surface/s, much like the very thin oxide layer that forms on aluminium almost immediately, then stops all further oxidation...

The finer 'how to' points I will get into when time allows.

Last edited by Logic; 11-08-2022 at 08:58 AM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Logic For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 08:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: South Africa
Posts: 126
Thanks: 51
Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why did you Thank him when he didn't answer your question. ???

Link/s is in my previous post freebeard.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: South Africa
Posts: 126
Thanks: 51
Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
How to Minimize Power Losses in Transmissions, Axles and Steering Systems:
https://www.geartechnology.com/issue...wer-losses.pdf

A nice read.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
DieselMiser
 
ConnClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richland,WA
Posts: 981

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Thanks: 46
Thanked 229 Times in 158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
A link to links:
https://www.google.com/search?q=agrg...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Important point:
Boric Oxide + water = Boric Acid.
Which is what forms the ceramic layer on the metal surface/s, much like the very thin oxide layer that forms on aluminium almost immediately, then stops all further oxidation...

The finer 'how to' points I will get into when time allows.
If you think I'm going to put water and Boric Oxide in my differential you are nuts. This research goes back to 2004. If there was a way to apply it the oil companies are doing it.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
DieselMiser
 
ConnClark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richland,WA
Posts: 981

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Thanks: 46
Thanked 229 Times in 158 Posts
It was 24 degrees F this morning. Had a good drive into work with no red lights. Got 26mpg on the nose. I'm looking at getting the front differential fluid changed and what options I have for the transfer case.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: South Africa
Posts: 126
Thanks: 51
Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
This research goes back to 2004. If there was a way to apply it the oil companies are doing it.
Imagine you sell say... anti dandruff shampoo for a living.
Lets say 10 000 000 bottles a month to your loyal return customers, enabling a really nice upper class lifestyle.

Someone comes along and says:
"If you add This Stuff to your product it will permanently cure dandruff, not just keep it away for a day or 2. Here's proof...."

That would mean your 10 000 000 customers; Poof! Gone..!!

Are you going to add the stuff to your product? Or are you going to hope (or make it so) that the inventor has a nasty accident..??

Car manufacturers are in the business of selling product...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
If you think I'm going to put water and Boric Oxide in my differential you are nuts.
Exactly the reaction I expected.

And that's exactly where most everyone will leave it, without any further research...
and drop their opinion of anything further I have to say.

Therefore:
Yes; you are right...

(Do note that I too wore that hat... till a worn old engine came along)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
101Volts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 502

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 17.01 mpg (US)
Thanks: 930
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
Imagine you sell say... anti dandruff shampoo for a living.
Lets say 10 000 000 bottles a month to your loyal return customers, enabling a really nice upper class lifestyle.

Someone comes along and says:
"If you add This Stuff to your product it will permanently cure dandruff, not just keep it away for a day or 2. Here's proof...."

That would mean your 10 000 000 customers; Poof! Gone..!!

Are you going to add the stuff to your product? Or are you going to hope (or make it so) that the inventor has a nasty accident..??

Car manufacturers are in the business of selling product...



Exactly the reaction I expected.

And that's exactly where most everyone will leave it, without any further research...
and drop their opinion of anything further I have to say.

Therefore:
Yes; you are right...

(Do note that I too wore that hat... till a worn old engine came along)
How did you apply it in oil? Water and Oil don't mix, and I saw a bit in one of the articles that said the boric acid would settle and separate from the oil in 2 weeks.

__________________



  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com