Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Question Cheap Asian LRR tires

I acquired a non-running 2000 Insight from a neighbor. Removed the dead battery, spoofed the computer with an arduino and got it running well. The original Bridgestone RE92s were sketchy so after a thousand miles or so of the car proving it's worth it, it got new tires.

MPG with the old, old RE92s was about 66 on my commute. After break in, the replacement Arroyo Eco-Pro A/S were doing about the same. They were about half the price of the RE92s. The handling is much more sloppy but they ride much, much better than the RE92s.

So, with tire technology trickling down to the less expensive brands do others experience LRR characteristics with these cheaper brands?

Note: I'm a serious value hunter. I'll spend money if it's worth it, but am attracted to value above just about anything else. I usually buy the cheapest tires I can find, mount and balance myself to save considerable funds to buy gas. I've never had an issue with any bargain basement tire.

Any experiences with cheap LRR tires, or tires advertised to be "low rolling resistance"?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-18-2022, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
I put LLR tires on for summer driving a couple of summers ago but Bridgestone Ecopias, not no-name. I have been pleased with the mileage even though I am driving faster. I am a little bit of a tire snob so I will be interested to see your results going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
COcyclist, I've had the Arroyo Eco-Pro A/S tires on for a little over 4000 miles now and have hit as high as 68 for a tank which is higher than with the old Bridgestones, but that could be due to learning how to drive the car.

Reporting in for the good of the group, however I'm wondering if there are other inexpensive brands that actually have low rolling resistance.

COcyclist (11-19-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread