Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Peter7307 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter7307 View Post
Talking to a hire car guy a few years ago about damage to air dams caused by parking in car parks with "positive stop" ahead of solid (ie brick or concrete )walls.

His comment was the dams flex up and slide over the concrete block and the drivers normally put the front wheels against the stop.

The damage is done when the driver then reverses back and , yep you guessed it , the air dam catches on the stop and is ripped off.

Not sure what the solution is apart from careful design and flexible materials.

Peter.
For low curbs my solution doesn't suffer from that problem :

But for a very high curb I am not sure what will happen. I will test a "standard issue" concrete parking block next time I get the chance.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Asphault Camo - retired - '05 Honda Civic SE
90 day: 35.81 mpg (US)

Asphault Camo Kid hauler - '98 Honda Odyssey LX
90 day: 24.33 mpg (US)
With the possibility of sounding just a touch arrogant on behalf of myself and most of "us ecomodders"...

The solution is so obvious that most of us missed commenting on it because it is second nature to those who think about every detail all of the time:

Know your vehicle and know it's limitations. Drive, park, etc. accordingly. Know how low your air dam is. Be aware of how much of a dip and what shape of a dip or change of slope causes an issue. ie. Really low air dam= use care whenever you deal with dips, obstacles at front of car such as curbs...

A second obviousness is that the rental cars deal with damaged air dams because when it is not your car, 1. you don't know it as well, 2. many don't care as much about something that is not theirs, 3. There are so many different drivers and it only takes one #2 driver, 4. the rental staff themselves are in a hurry to get the car back out rented-maybe being pushed for speed rather than quality. There are many reasons that a rental may become damaged more quickly than an owner's special friend.

On a side note, my (retired) Saturn L100 had a significant manufacturers air dam along the bottom of the front bumper which most definitely had met several curbs at slow speeds similar to those mentioned above in parking lots, a constant challenge of steep driveway meeting counter-sloping road, etc. The dam had serious rub markings but had the structural strength and endurance to slide back off curbs and slide along pavement when aimed into the driveway poorly whether forwards or in reverse. (However, I have never put it completely over a stand-alone curb piece. That would require excessive speed into a parking spot, ice, or lack of attention.)

And back to the Volt's air dam. I had the opportunity today to talk to an owner of one after I noted that it was in an employee parking spot. The dam looked really low to me for a car being driven in Canada (think 30cm/1 foot of snow last Friday) so I asked about the driving. He said and I quote "Everyone was sliding around and in the ditch. I just kept driving with no problems. That big battery is heavy and gave more traction than anyone else on the road."

I'm not sure I would want to test the Volt air dam backing out of any parking spot in snow because it would act as a shovel. It is a really low air dam and I looked at the rear of the car. The back bumper sits fairly high (at least 3X as high) compared to the air dam. I would have to redesign our driveway to only enter/exit at an angle in order that my wife would not scrape/break the air dam. There are more people for whom "the car" is simply a tool to be used (or abused) and not thought about or paid attention to than there are those people such as us 'modders for whom all those little details matter and are taken into consideration. That's why there are so many cars sold based on the lowest common denominator-they have to meet all possibilities and all people which unfortunately means they need to plan for high clearance, pot-holes suspension, huge hockey bags, not to mention high speeds (100+km/h=65+mph)=air bags, traction control, anti-lock brakes, power everything, a/c, automatic transmission, ... here endeth the rant.

Interestingly, the underside of the Volt is smoother than my 2005 Civic, but still is not smooth, not by a long shot. Anyone have an explanation, or are they just using the air dam instead of a smooth belly / pan?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well, count me in as one of the people who's sometimes not familiar with the clearance height of what he's driving. Can't be helped since I drive several different cars in any month.

But I did get a giggle out of scraping the front air dam on a car in a parking lot a few months back. A giggle because this was a big, burly SUV. That front air-dam on the Explorer is just four inches up... makes for terrible ground clearance off-road, and it's only the flexibility of the whole structure (including the bumper) that keeps owners from ripping the whole thing apart when trailing.

Reply  Post New Thread