Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad1994 View Post
Saw the battery packs for $10,000 and they are the LITHIUM-ION rechargable types. Trying to find a WET LEAD ACID conversion kit version for a PRIUS to extend its range; at a lower DO-IT-YOURSELF overall price of maybe $3500 total.
No links, but instead of lead-acid, why not look at getting several of the NiMH Prius packs from salvage? If you do a search on e.g. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market you'll find used packs at $500 or so, so you could add 4 or 5 for your price, and still keep a grand for extra electronics.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
No links, but instead of lead-acid, why not look at getting several of the NiMH Prius packs from salvage? If you do a search on e.g. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market you'll find used packs at $500 or so, so you could add 4 or 5 for your price, and still keep a grand for extra electronics.
That is actually a very smart idea. I did think of that, as a best case option to just buy salvaged battery packs, and do the modifications and improvements. Still second guessing on the weight issue of the extra batteries. You could have 350 pounds extra with everything you need.

Maybe the price combined would be below $3000 with chargers, and safe battery holders, etc.

Still need a charging circuit system; and maybe something to control HEAT and AC in the prius while on battery; and the battery pack in a battery box and cabling.

Just really surprizing that these are not being designed and installed as an option by Toyota. Effectively an instant EV Prius. Must be some other issue, like what I mentioned before about dropping power below the 40% charge and not being able to recover fast enough - before killing the batteries perminantly.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Quote:
I started doing some number crunching on what is the best vehicle to convert to electric PHEV. I have to assume I will be using WET LEAD batteries (aka golf cart battery technology). Here is what I have so far:

1) Chevy S10 total cost over five years including conversion is $20500
(assuming $4500 for truck purchase)

2) Geo Metro same conversion is $19,500 (assuming $4500 for purchase)

3) Toyota Prius used (dead battery) is $18,000 (assuming $10,000 for purchase)

But I did not calculate selling the engines out of the Chevy and the Geo, so maybe a little cheaper with them.

The numbers above assume:
A) WET LEAD batteries bought new every year for $1000
B) $150 in electricity per year for each vehicle

I am kind of liking the PRIUS idea as it can run unlimited mileage, as it has a built-in charging system.
If you spend $4500 on an S10 that you're going to take the drivetrain out of, you got raked over the coals. Four years ago, I'd have sold you the '95 I had for less than $1000.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
That is actually a very smart idea. I did think of that, as a best case option to just buy salvaged battery packs, and do the modifications and improvements. Still second guessing on the weight issue of the extra batteries. You could have 350 pounds extra with everything you need.

Maybe the price combined would be below $3000 with chargers, and safe battery holders, etc.

Still need a charging circuit system; and maybe something to control HEAT and AC in the prius while on battery; and the battery pack in a battery box and cabling.

Just really surprizing that these are not being designed and installed as an option by Toyota. Effectively an instant EV Prius. Must be some other issue, like what I mentioned before about dropping power below the 40% charge and not being able to recover fast enough - before killing the batteries perminantly.
Toyota is rumored to be working on a plug in Prius for 2010 (released next year) that will use a larger battery pack and/or lithium/ion batteries instead of the NiMH batteries. The power management in the Prius is said to never allow the batteries to get under 50% of charge, a reason they are lasting so long. I know a lot of the EV cars will routinely run their lead acid batteries down to 20%, so perhaps the 50% level is for the NiMH cells.

I wonder why we don't see more people using salvaged battery packs out of hybrids for EVs?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
The power management in the Prius is said to never allow the batteries to get under 50% of charge, a reason they are lasting so long. I know a lot of the EV cars will routinely run their lead acid batteries down to 20%, so perhaps the 50% level is for the NiMH cells.
Don't know about the Prius BMS, but the Honda Insight limits charge to between 20% and 80% of capacity.

I've been looking at adding a second battery pack in parallel on mine. (Lots of mountains hereabouts, and it irritates me when regen has the pack completely charged when I'm only halfway down.) Some people have apparently done this, and it seems to work ok.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledthejams View Post
If you spend $4500 on an S10 that you're going to take the drivetrain out of, you got raked over the coals. Four years ago, I'd have sold you the '95 I had for less than $1000.
Just saw a great condition S10 going for $4000. The only piece of the drive train I take out for the conversion is the Engine and teh gas tank. So I would want a rust free perfect vehicle before I start.

Moot point though as I am not thinking of an S10 project as the conversion kit with everything is going to be $10,000.

Now for practical use I am thinking modified PRIUS, with some kind of quick - connect - disconnect for spare used battery packs from the junk yard (at $500 a pack). Just as long as I do not exceed the manufacturer GVW rating. Take out the pack and I can have passengers and a normal prius for sale. Put in the quick connect pack and I am a PHEV.

Reply  Post New Thread