Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ZeroFuel 1,2,3 - '96 Geo Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
These are some issues I could see with that position.
1. you are playing both sides of the fence, the petrol source and the renewable source. If there is a way to reclaim flare gasses efficiently and effectively, then we should do that thing certainly. Should we convert natural gas to carbamide to run our cars? Maybe not, if it isn't more efficient than using the ntural gas itself. Should we use what little renewables we have to crack hydrogen, so we can make carbamide, to put in cars? I'm pretty sure the answer is absolutely not, from a "well to wheels" perspective that would likely be most inefficient.

2. You are calling it a "fuel", but it is basically just storage of energy converted. Maybe by x-prize technicalities it is a fuel, but around here I think we like to examine the whole process that put the fuel in your tank in the first place, i.e.
If that process makes emissions, then they count (even if your car runs on batteries).
If it uses renewables, then it has to try to be most efficient with those renewables, above all else.

So you will have to forgive me if I do not debate this using xprize terminology. I do not agree with their methods and purposes if it means you can convert natural gas to something else and call that thing a "fuel" with "zero" net emissions.
dcb

Please remember that I said you will not find perfection in any transportation fuel.

That being said, with ZeroFuel we feel we have the best answer to: how do you establish a transportation fuel infrastructure that is economically viable & environmentally friendly?

Yes, ZeroFuel is a safe carrier of H2 & NH3, which are the fuels. This is the break through needed to move to cleaner more efficient vehicles.

X prize aside, I see no problem with trying to utilize what ever resources are available to achieve the fuel infrastructure described above. AFS also has a patent on new technology for renewable H2 that would also be put into the production side.

X prize does consider WTW aspects of all the fuels as posted on their spreadsheet. It may not be perfect, but again it is a step in the right direction.

CNG is not a good transportation fuel as evidenced by it's 20 years availability & non-acceptance. With only 790 filling stations in the US, high pressure, storage & flammability issues all contributing to this. Hence production of H2 is a clear option.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hello,

It seems to me that the lowest carbon emission method for getting hydrogen is to use electrolysis with a renewable energy source, like solar and/or wind power. The method recently published by MIT that is nearly 100% efficient at getting hydrogen this way would seem to be a big help. The only significant carbon used/produced is in making the solar panels and/or the wind turbines.

A big side benefit of electrolysis mentioned by Mr. Wool (in the Science Friday podcast linked at the beginning of this thread) would be to also use the released oxygen to burn coal; making the resulting gas almost completely carbon dioxide -- which makes it easy to capture, at least.
Yes Neil

We are going to see some new & exciting renewable options in the near future.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFuel View Post
CNG is not a good transportation fuel as evidenced by it's 20 years availability & non-acceptance. With only 790 filling stations in the US, high pressure, storage & flammability issues all contributing to this. Hence production of H2 is a clear option.
Now that is just plain silly. You say CNG isn't accepted, so you want to go to hydrogen, which has the same pressure & storage problems, and is even more flammable and harder to transport?
Old 07-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Now that is just plain silly. You say CNG isn't accepted, so you want to go to hydrogen, which has the same pressure & storage problems, and is even more flammable and harder to transport?
You should read before you write.

Read post #12 slowly & carefully, especially at the end with solved issues.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I missed this on the air, but that's why they have podcasts! I really like this concept, and it looks like it will become a reality:

A Highway for Wind Power

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 02-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

compressed hydroxy is very dangerous
Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Jobert213

fantastic

thank you so much for the information, to tell you frankly i did see the chicken feather use in cooking.

Reply  Post New Thread