Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2022, 08:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Righteous Imaginarian

Champrius v3.2 - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 58.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
How often are you changing oil? How much are you burning between changes?
I use synthetic and change oil every 10k miles. When I first got the vehicle it burned 1 qt every 6-7k miles. That steadily increased until it was around 1 qt every 2-3k miles, then the cat blew. I check my oil every gas fillup now, and top off as needed.

I did a bunch of things to try to combat the oil burning. I did an engine flush and holey hell did it pour out black. The car stunk for weeks after that. Then I did a full cleaning of the air intake, MAF, throttle body, and tops of the cylinders. As mentioned I also installed an oil catch can, and by taking the difference of what I put in vs what I pour out I can get an estimate of how much its burning. It's still losing 1 qt every 2-3k miles, but I think it's only burning at a rate of 1 per 5k miles.

This last oil change I used Lucas Stop Leak and it worked for the first 7k miles (i.e. it halved the rate of oil loss) but then went back losing 1qt per 2-3k miles. So I could theoretically slow my oil loss / burn by using Stop Leak and changing oil every 7k miles.

I only use Top Tier gas and have considered using some kind of detergent like Sea Foam. Anyone have experience with that?

By the way, I have yet to dismantle the engine, and want to avoid doing so if at all possible. I've read nightmares in Prius Chat about the FIPG (Formed In Place Gasket) and how it takes a lot of practice to get it right. I'd have no worries about disassembly if it just used normal gaskets.

If I did take it apart, I could make some major preventative repairs. I'm certain the timing chain tensioner is getting loose, which means the timing chain is going. So I could replace all that. I could do a thorough cleaning of any oil deposits lurking about, and possibly replace some gaskets depending. I've put replacing the water pump and timing chain tensioner on the list of things to do, assuming Champrius survives her latest repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I think there is some hope if you act before the oil burning gets too bad.
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

and ask in depth questions here:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post669277

The goal is 70 mpg this time around.

Stats from Champrius v3.2:
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2022, 04:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I thought the 1NZs didn't burn oil as badly as ZZ/AZ engines? 1qt per 2k miles is pretty low IMO, my 1ZZ-FE burned 2 qt in 2000 miles :P (cat was basically gone at 140k miles when the engine blew)

I wouldn't put Seafoam in the crankcase if that's what you asked, it has a lot of isopropanol. I don't think any fuel additive will help you because you probably have stuck rings. Some people use AutoRX or Marvel Mystery Oil but those really are not much different from kerosene (they have Stoddard solvent). If your engine is on its way out, maybe it's worth lightly running the engine with a little kerosene in the oil, or AutoRX (I think it has some additives that make it less bad than just thinning out oil).

Reply  Post New Thread