Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cleanEK - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 44.87 mpg (US)
civic owners

hey guys, Im new to the board and I am looking for my first mods. Any civic owners?? I have a 98 dx Hatch, 5 speed. d16y7 engine. I am currently averaging 45-50mpg with just inflated tires and hypermiling. Should I get scangauge or ultragauge. And for my first mod I was thinking warm air intake. I was also thinking of removing the power steering belt. Let me know what you guys think. any advice appreciated. thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98civicDX View Post
hey guys, Im new to the board and I am looking for my first mods. Any civic owners?? I have a 98 dx Hatch, 5 speed. d16y7 engine. I am currently averaging 45-50mpg with just inflated tires and hypermiling. Should I get scangauge or ultragauge. And for my first mod I was thinking warm air intake. I was also thinking of removing the power steering belt. Let me know what you guys think. any advice appreciated. thanks
Welcome to EM! You might have my car exactly. Black coupe too? I have an extensive list of the current and planned mods on my listing in the garage. I seem to be reliably up over 60mpg nowadays (partly weather). A WAI seems to work for our cars, the airdam, grill blocks, and power steering and AC deletes were also all significant benefits. I have run my tires about 10 PSI above the recommended 44 for the last five months and 5-6K miles. No problem. But you judge for yourself your safety. Get a gauge (I use the ultra gauge). Keep a fuel log. And join "team honda". Welcome!!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have the hatchback. I think WAI is first on my list. Will an ebay short ram work, or should i construct one similar to yours? I look forward to your help cali98civic. 60mpg would be awesome!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
I have the hatchback. I think WAI is first on my list. Will an ebay short ram work, or should i construct one similar to yours? I look forward to your help cali98civic. 60mpg would be awesome!
Make the purchase of a gauge your top priority. The Ultra Gauge is cheaper and it will pay for itself because it enables you to more effectively practice counter-intuitive tactics like "driving with load" ("DWL"). Driving technique accounts for at least half the gains I have seen. And if you look up the "PaleCivic" you'll see a car with almost no mods that is scoring 70 and 80mpg regularly through technique. My WAI is just made of duct tape and plumbing pipe (black plastic). Pretty cheap. You want to pull heat from above the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, which is between the engine and the radiators. That's probably the hottest available.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

yeah the gauge is my top priority. Ultragauge seems to be on back order. Anyone know where to buy them?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

california how do I view mods in yours or anyones garage?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Hi! You can click the name of the car below the user's name on the left.

My 96 DX sedan is basically stock. I have a Scangauge, a blocked grille, and high tire pressure. The rest is hypermiling. Learn to love neutral.

You really need a gauge. I mean REALLY need a gauge. Your 45-50 will be a distant memory.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
california how do I view mods in yours or anyones garage?
PaleMelanesian spells out how above in post #7. Anyone know off-hand how 98Civic might add his car to the garage? I have forgotten.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ultragauge is on backorder it looks like just my luck
Old 07-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

just ordered one, will be a couple weeks but thats fine. I cant wait to see the real time gauges, should be fun

Reply  Post New Thread