Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
There has been a ton of work done on this. The sheer diversity of howtrailrs are used defeats any "one size fits all" mods.

I do know this: leave your underhood air filters alone. They are the optimum setup.

Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

KickmeintheJimmy - '96 GMC Jimmy 4 Door 4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
What kind of trucks? Kenworth W900 or something more aero like the Kenworth T2000?
We have some W900's in the fleet nothing aero like the T2000. Most of our trucks sport a classic truck look like those of the longnose kenworth W900's. The freightliner columbia models are probably are most aerodynamic trucks in the fleet which isn't saying a whole lot.

Our Columbia models are like this one but the sleepers are smaller and the exhausts are not behind the sleeper but just behind the doors.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
There has been a ton of work done on this. The sheer diversity of howtrailrs are used defeats any "one size fits all" mods.

I do know this: leave your underhood air filters alone. They are the optimum setup.
Yeah it's virtually impossible to really make our flatbed trailers aero friendly. I think all I can do with the trailers is look to eliminate uneeded weight and find a good cheap tire with the least amount of flexing.

About the underhood air filters though it just doesn't seem optimum. When the trucks are in the yard I'll try to get a photo or two of what I'm talking about. They seem to be in a location that would most likely pull in hot air which can't help our power situation out any (this is on the columbia models)
Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartTrucker View Post
About the underhood air filters though it just doesn't seem optimum. When the trucks are in the yard I'll try to get a photo or two of what I'm talking about. They seem to be in a location that would most likely pull in hot air which can't help our power situation out any (this is on the columbia models)
I don't know if this carries over to diesels at all, but in my Insight I get better fuel economy with warm intake air - 100-130F, as opposed to whatever comes in from the outside. I think it allows the ECU to run a leaner mixture.

Of course economy is not the same as power - on long flat stretches the Insight doesn't need much power to maintain speed, and I suppose with the trucks it'd depend on how it's geared. So maybe a flapper valve to pull in cold outside air when power is needed (like on hills), or warm air when cruising on the flat.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Brown Bus - '98 GMC Sonoma X-Cab SLS
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
You're going to have a hard time "fooling" a diesel computer into running a leaner mix - at least based on intake air temp.

The whole reason why your gas engine pulls fuel is in order to cool things off in the combustion chamber and prevent precombustion that a "hot mix" could be succeptible to. Um, precombustion isn't an issue in diesels. Forget about it.

Plus, why would you ever want to intake warmer air on a TURBOCHARGED AND INTERCOOLED engine? By the time you go through all that processing, you're not going to affect precharge air temperature anyway.

By the way, most gas engines NOT ONLY pull fuel when they see high intake temps, but they will also pull out timing. Um, power and efficiency (power per fuel) go down when this happens. It will vary in magnitude from computer to computer, but you're trying to convince your computer to use less gas. In the end, the computer will correct based on O2 sensor readings. I'm pretty convinced warm air is a placebo effect. Didn't work on my vehicle.

If you better understand what goes on inside your computer, you can better understand what to do outside. Warm air does not make a combustion process more efficient. It makes it worse. Maybe your computer does something funny, but the basics of Carnot/Rankine cycle dictate that a cooler charge/sink temp is more efficient at harvesting the heat energy from the source. Always.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes diesels are different then gasoline engines when you're talking about intake air cool should be a good thing on diesels.

also I forgot to link a photo of a freightliner columbia. This one isn't ours but it's similar it has a larger sleeper though and the exhaust is behind the sleeper like ours should be.

http://ppgmedia.buysell.com/ppgphoto...04-display.jpg
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

also...........now I know there is those things out there that are too good to be true and maybe this is and if I was one truck I'd likely stay away from an item like this................. but what do you all think of fuel preporators?

I'm waiting for one to come in to test and well could be an absolute waste of cash or worse cost me more but if it works I could save a lot with it when you multiply it by a fleet worth of trucks. There seems to be some legitimate testing behind it. Has anyone ever toyed with one of these?

http://www.pureflowtechnologies.com/FP200C.htm
Old 08-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
METROANNOSAURUS REX

The Mach .05 - '98 Chevy Metro LSi
90 day: 48.88 mpg (US)
Weird my pics didn't attach on my original post... so here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low rider skirt.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1582   Click image for larger version

Name:	spitzer-colani-1.jpg
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	1583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Conway-Pics-029.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1584   Click image for larger version

Name:	am1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two_Cool_SS_2-3-06_009coty.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1586  

Old 08-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
METROANNOSAURUS REX

few more...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9XFZ8YB7.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherwin Williams full aero.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colani_Truck.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1589  

Old 08-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
METROANNOSAURUS REX

That crazy cab design is by this guy named Colani, he does all kinds of smooth designs like that, just google him. He's got a killer mustache too!! lol

Reply  Post New Thread