Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
A friend asked for a ride. I was in the middle of replacing a faucet, need to write progress reports for work, and have other things going on, but went to help. Then I ran into Walmart, which apparently now closes at midnight, and it was almost midnight.
I found teflon tape just in time and was almost home when I stopped for a train. I turned off my engine, but left my lights on so nobody knocked me into the train, except no one approached until almost ten minutes later, when I could see the end of the train. My phone was dying (and I cannot charge it in my Civic), but I was almost home!
Everything died when I tried to start the car. I had the smrtcar behind me back up and go around and I rolled back, but tried to bump-start when another car approached.
No good.
I got out and gestured for them to go around. They and another driver stopped to ask if I needed help and waited to see if I could bump-start.
Somehow the rest of the hill was steeper, but there are hardly any streetlights, and I could not turn on my lights. I was able to bump-start, but I kept worrying about backing into something I could not see!

I am very glad I have a manual transmission!

That was four blocks from home. In the morning I will get my trickle charger out of our shed, but that is in the alley. I do not enjoy long walks down dark alleys.
Like the old saying - $2 dollar helmet for a $2 dollar head! Obviously you place little value on the safety of yourself or your passenger.

Simon

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck View Post
Like the old saying - $2 dollar helmet for a $2 dollar head! Obviously you place little value on the safety of yourself or your passenger.

Simon
A stationary car on a roadway is likely of minimal danger to anyone with a brain
Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
The battery might still be perfectly good. Put it on a charger for a couple of days. I use one of those 2 amp "computer controlled" chargers.
I put it on a charger in the morning and the green light was on before I left for work in the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck View Post
I hope you feel better now. By the way, no: Cheap or Expensive Bicycle Helmets

Quote:
Summary: We submitted samples of six helmet models to a leading U.S. test lab: three in the $150+ range and three under $20. The impact test results were virtually identical. There were very few differences in performance among the helmets. Our conclusion: when you pay more for a helmet you may get an easier fit, more vents and snazzier graphics. But the basic impact protection of the cheap helmets we tested equaled the expensive ones. Just look for a helmet that fits you well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
As others have mentioned, your battery is likely on the way out if it isn't lasting 10 minutes.

I'd have turned the engine off too if waiting over a minute, but I also would turn the headlights off, leaving just the parking lights on. Blower motors are also consume a lot of electricity, so that should be turned off as well.

You should get a cigarette lighter charger for your phone. Even better, get one of those cheap batteries that can charge your phone several times and include a light. Amazon link

...and I'm curious, was your friend a girl? You need a friend as loyal and helpful as yourself.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-05-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 03:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Redpoint,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I appreciate them.

I wish I had thought to turn off my headlights. I didn't need those!

I probably had the fan on low. Rolling down my windows and killing the fan might have made all of the difference that I needed, but the headlights would have been better!

I have car chargers, but they do not receive power. When I bought Chorizo there was another socket in the glove box, so I figured the previous owner had replaced it, but it still did not work. The fuse is good. I never tried troubleshooting further than that. It was good enough.

I have always thought about installing something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Arpenkin-Dash...o+usb+hardwire

I actually have a battery pack, but in the Accord, because I have been trying to establish its MPG, except I want a full tank at fifty-five, but I will remember halfway somewhere, and I do not slow down because I do not have time.

I want it in the Accord for road trips for a backup, but at least that car can charge my phone!

The battery pack needs to go into my Civic!

I may end up purchasing a non-Samsung phone because mine overheats just driving my black car in the Arizona summer without air conditioning. It would be much worse trying to charge it.

Friend was a bit of an overstatement. She is a girl, though, but that does not help me at all.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you have a great day!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Something like this would strike two in one blow:

4 In 1 Car Charge Display Temperature/Voltage/Amper 2979277 2017

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
ksa8907 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
A stationary car on a roadway is likely of minimal danger to anyone with a brain
Since when is bump starting a car backwards in the dark without lights a stationary vehicle? And how many drivers on the road actually use their brain?

Simon

Reply  Post New Thread