Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
Ahh, there's nothing like a mile-long downhill coast...
You're thinking way too small :-) From one of the places I frequently ski/hike, it's IIRC 17 miles of downhill. Then there's the trip I used to do too often: California 88 from Carson Pass - 8650 ft - to the valley - 50 ft, if that. There are a couple of uphill stretches, but mostly it's about 60 miles of downhill steep enough to keep up speed with coasting (or regen, in the Insight).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I do have fond memories of great coasting roads. Enjoy.
For those who worry about the legality of coasting - that's part of the system that makes it all work. A coaster who is hyper-aware due to the danger of a bust is safer than someone who doesn't care if there's a cop for miles, as long as he can see the white line and the speedo. Similarly for many speeders, or in our case, part-time slow hazards.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
in the user manual for my car instructs drivers not to cut the engine off while driving.
therefore any accident that can be blamed on delibirate cutting the engine off might be blamed on impropper opperation.

i found the safest way to eoc is to keep the vehicle in gear (5th) and depress the clutch,

in an imergency just letting out the clutch will instantly restart the engine, and restore full braking and power steering,... the wheels powering these systems from the second the clutch is released.

i'd advice anyone eoc-ing to practice what they would do in case something happenes...

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

The highway code is not the law but it does indicate items which are law by the words 'must' or 'must not' in bold. For example in the next section to the one above it states :

You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

Its unlikely a policeman would stop you for coasting, engine off or on - they probably wouldn't know. If your driving is erratic then they would take an interest though. Mind you with so many cameras, when was the last time you saw a traffic policeman in the UK ?

If you were involved in an accident then they would take into account the full circumstances, for example they would probably know from the key position whether the engine was running or not for example. This would only be the case for a serious accident. For a small bump they would probably not be involved. I suppose its up to you to decide what is/isn't safe depending on the circumstances at the time.

For coasting I have tried engine off but decided against it. In gear vs out of gear depends on the downward slope - if its steeper I use in gear as no fuel is being used to turn the engine. On a less steep incline I may use out of gear as I can coast much further. On my homeward journey at the start of my coast period the average MPG is usually registering mid 40s and by the end it can be up to 59. Unfortunately Edinburgh conspires against me after that and its down below 50 by the time I get home.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
The highway code is not the law but it does indicate items which are law by the words 'must' or 'must not' in bold. For example in the next section to the one above it states :

You MUST NOT leave a ... vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.
Could this be interpreted as not turning off your engine when standing at a ridiculously long red light? I think wasting gas should be illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
If you were involved in an accident then they would take into account the full circumstances, for example they would probably know from the key position whether the engine was running or not for example.
But shouldn't your key be in the same position when EOCing as it is when the engine is on? This allows you to bump start in an instant, without any key turning. This does make me wonder how anyone would prove post factum that the engine was on or off at a certain point in time, like during an accident? Was the engine off, or did it stop because it hit a tree? No automotive blackboxes, yet.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelk View Post
Google turns up lots of people who think leaving a car in gear is more fuel efficient than coasting and this page from the DVLA.....
It depends on the situation.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Could this be interpreted as not turning off your engine when standing at a ridiculously long red light? I think wasting gas should be illegal.
It was just an example, it was the next thing on the page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
But shouldn't your key be in the same position when EOCing as it is when the engine is on? This allows you to bump start in an instant, without any key turning. This does make me wonder how anyone would prove post factum that the engine was on or off at a certain point in time, like during an accident? Was the engine off, or did it stop because it hit a tree? No automotive blackboxes, yet.
Yes, you are right. Or of course that could explain the accident