Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Target 70mpg (UK) (58 US)

Clara - '94 Vauxhall Cavalier LS
Last 3: 51.88 mpg (US)
Hello! Another UK person...

...joining the forum.

As needs must, Ive started doing more miles in a year, so my previous daily road car (an ex police, stripped out track car) was making little sense in many ways (the noise at motorway speeds, and MPG of around 24 UK MPG (thats 20 US I think))

Soooo I now have a 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.7 Turbo Diesel. Its better as it has an interior, so is quiet at cruising speed, it fits more tat in and I can sleep in it in comfort (yes this is a concern for me! )

I know this forum is populated in the majority by Americans so for those that dont know, it looks like this.....

[edit]Not allowed to post pictures yet![/edit]

cd of 0.29 from the factory (according to the brochure) so not tooooo shabby.

Ive been lurking for a bit, so have plenty of ideas but will ask questions when I cant find answers (already have some) Im sure Ill have plenty of aero questions coming up before long

Plans for the moment are the usual.... mirror delete(already made, not fitted), grille block, larger diameter tyres, rear wheel covers, moon discs, engine kill switch, lowering, rear wiper delete, radio antenna delete and many others random ideas (want to convert from power steering to manual and also changing the brakes so I can run servoless, idea being that when engine is killed it drives the same as when its running)

I know many of these ideas are recommended for more experienced people, but believe me Im not fast at implementing plans so will only install as and when

Book MPG figures for the car are in the mid 40s (UK)

So far on my first tank (sadly rubbish driving, mixed town commute and motorway driving) I got 46.6 UK ( 38.8 US ) so a pretty good basis I think.

The car is mechanically injected diesel, so no form of economy guage I know of will work (no ECU, no vacuum) so all my figures will be between full fill ups. Not 100% accurate I know but all I have.

Im about to fill up for my second tank, and I have employed various driving tips I found on this website this time, so we shall see what figures I get

With prices here in the uk of Ł1.12 a litre ($1.66) and set to rise, I need every mile I can get haha!

Soooo, love the website, hope I can fit in!

p.s. I must confess, I am a car nut, and do love to drive hard occasionally. I do this at the track. My thinking is, by driving economically on the road, not only do I save money, I also help offset the impact of when I go to the track. Admittedly, havent been for a while due to money constraints!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome to ecomodder!
Make sure you fill in a gas log when you fill up your car.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to EM. I'm sure you'll fit right in.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys

Already keeping a fuel log!

Im cycling my commute at the moment (suns out, I need to get fit) so saving 20miles of fuel a day as it is
Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
colonelk -

Welcome to EM! Much cleaner looking than our USA Chevy Cavalier (in name only, not the same car at all) :

Cd of 0.29 is darn great!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah its pretty good I guess, especially for the era.

Thats the saloon youve pictured there... Ive got the hatchback When I can Ill post pictures

Just did another fill and using the driving tips on the site I got 58mpg (UK) (48ish? US I think) !!!!

Thats a stupendous improvement! Well chuffed! Going to carry on with this for sure! That was using basic P&G (engine running in idle, coasting) with a mix of town and motorway driving (at least half of that was motorway work Ill admit )

It DOES say in the brochure that it will do 64mpg (UK) at a constant 56mph so not bad at all. I did get stuck in some real bad traffic though and thought the MPG from this tank was going to have been rubbish. I was so wrong! Its a shame I havent had the car longer really, to get a fuel backlog for normal driving and whatnot, but nevermind!

Mark
Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Got the pictures now....

Not a mega bad shape I think

Nice big grille to block too

Reply  Post New Thread