Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I remember reading 10-20 years ago about plans to raise automotive voltage to 42V to power all of the extra accessories, and to ease engine start-stop. What ever happened to that?
They abandoned it in favor of even higher voltages. Such as the Prius with a 200v battery.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Hybrids have them, where it's a combined starter, alternator, traction motor, and regenerative brake. Hybrids usually run at 36-200V and have a high voltage deep cycle battery that is a large part of why hybrids are expensive. However, it's possible to do those things at 12V, and some auto parts suppliers (Bosch comes to mind) have developed them. I presume the reason 12V belt ISG's aren't popular is that they do in fact cost more than the conventional method, and the benefits aren't worth the cost.
Aircraft have them. Here's an example: Aircraft Starter Generators
True, they are a little pricey and the ones I recall working around were 28VDC, but they did both jobs. True, they are mounted on gas turbine engines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phord
So is it possible to modify one of a hybrid? Because I see wrecked hybrids all the time here I thought I could do it cheaply.
I was wondering the same thing.

Reply  Post New Thread