Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here is another idea. Make a Youtube video showing the different instantaneous gas mileage readings at the same speed on the same stretch of road, and shots of the cap

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #192 (permalink)
electricman

I recently found a Bodyshop with a Fibreglass aeromods operator tha tmakes fibreglass parts for cars - like trim kits, and such - that could do the mold for my AeroCap for the Dodge Dakota. First step - is to get the shape finished, spray it with StyroSpray 1000 to give it a hard finsish that can be filled, sanded, painted and polished! It might cost me my Summer Vacation Money just for the mold, thought! Robert Dodge Dakota Aerocap

Last edited by electricman; 06-10-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #193 (permalink)
electricman

AeroCap Gets Closer to being a possability!

I recently found a Bodyshop with a Fibreglass aeromods operator that makes fibreglass parts for cars - like trim kits, and such - that could do the mold for my AeroCap for the Dodge Dakota. First step - is to get the shape finished, spray it with StyroSpray 1000 to give it a hard finsish that can be filled, sanded, painted and polished! It might cost me my Summer Vacation Money just for the mold, though!

Donations, anyone? (Partners?)
Robert Dodge Dakota Aerocap
Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #194 (permalink)
electricman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Here is another idea. Make a Youtube video showing the different instantaneous gas mileage readings at the same speed on the same stretch of road, and shots of the cap
It is a great Idea - two video cameras - forward & backward - with forward one focused on the Scan Gauge and the backward one to verify cap on or off!

What about a Sound Db Meter for the same Idea? I know the cab seems quieter with the cap on than with it off!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #195 (permalink)
electricman

buyers ... line up here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allc0re View Post
Count me in as one interested purchasing one as soon as they are available for my vehicle. I drive a Ford Ranger ext. cab.
How much different in size is a Ford Ranger Box and Cab than a Dodge Dakota? Maybe My plug can be re-fitted to a truck like yours for re-moddeling to suit after the current one gets it's mold made!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #196 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nice AeroCap!

electricman,

Nice work! I have to agree with you on how the interior noise level goes down, not to mention the increase in the fuel efficiency of your truck. I hope your friend can help you out with making the mold. From that, you can fabricate a durable part and not lose the nice shape you arrived at in foam.

We share a common line of work, Bizjets. I have been involved over the years in the construction of many full-scale business jet mockups mostly for Gulfstream Aerospace. The pictures below are from a few years back when we constructed the Gulfstream G-150 mockup. They are big much bigger than an aerocap and you don't find yourself sanding upside down with the pickup stuff.

I have to agree with you also on winkosmosis's idea, that would be cool!

Bondo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010178.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	3679   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010179.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	3680  
Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #197 (permalink)
electricman

AeroCap - some thoughts

Bondo - At least you were Sanding Upside down - while you were in a Shop!

I work on my truck outside all the time - in a parking lot at my apartment building - and luckily - tenants have accepted the process!

So far - there are three places I have had discovered that might help with the coating and fibreglass work, and have only checked out but one of them. Two more to go - Due Diligence and all. :-)

I have not done any of the mockup work for any Bombardier Projects, but my intro into Aerospace as a profession began with a Kitplane - the RV-3 from Vans Aircraft - wherin I bought a Kit from someone working on it - and after getting it home discoverred some of his big structural errors - wrong tools used for Riveting the Spar - led me to a BC Tech School and to a new career in Aircraft Maintenance -> Aircraft Production. The RV-3 was my dream - but living in an apartment - suggests - try something else I can do in the mean time! Hence - EV's and the AeroCap!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #198 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i have another idea, its probably really easy to do, all you need is a sheet of vinyl and some metal or plastic. Someone with the know-how could make a cover just like the metal one on the front page but is easier and cheaper to DIY. just make the pipes sit inside the holes a normal cover would mount in but have a tarp material or vinyl with a sloping angle to the bed. Im sure someone could do this.

(im sure i have repeated myself several times in this, and thanks for letting this be my first post. Pls dont put me over the coals if this has already been discussed or be too hard on me )
Old 06-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #199 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

electricman,

At least you are doing it! Hopefully you can find you a workspace but that does'nt seem to be stopping you not having a shop to work in. You have figured out the main ingredient, hard work. One thing about the aircraft mock-ups, they don't fly. If not for the folks who build em and keep em flying like you, there would no need for mockups.

caseyr7 welcome to the forum. I found out a long time ago, always listen to the ideas of others. That is how you learn. I have learned alot from the postings people put up on this forum about aerodynamics.

Bondo
Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #200 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just found this website and really like this bed cap

Reply  Post New Thread