Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #81 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
Should fit where the alternator goes on a ty3. I recall busses had doghouses until water cooled.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Finally got the Honda controller apart and took a bunch of photos. Will post them later when the camera gets back here.

We need to get this kicked off so I can convert it to Paul's circuit board and test things out. Hope to get the scope and signal generator found and unpacked.

Crated up the controller and altermotor for shipping home to CR. Should take a month or so to get there. It's leaving here next Wednesday, so, lets go !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaroldinCR For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-26-2017), thingstodo (04-26-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #83 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Finally got back home and have a pic of the Honda IMA controller. This is a lower voltage unit I want to use for the altermotor. The controller is on it's way here in a crate. Should take about a month or so. The altermotor is also in the crate.

Now, I would like some help to point out what items I might be able to omit and if I can fit Pauls controller circuit. Right now I need to pay off CC's before I can get Pauls board.

I managed to carry back my O'scope and signal generator. We found the manuals for both so I guess I need to start learning how to use them. I presume I will need more and better pics. What I have may not be sufficient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMA1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	21740  
Old 05-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #84 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Does Paul's kit DIY board come with the chip programmed ? I have no way or idea how to program chips.

I am looking at an OEM controller to go with this OEM alternator, but, I would like to run a boost converter circuit to get more RPM's at speed. Any input/advice would be appreciated. Expecting crate anytime soon, so I can started on this project.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldinCR View Post
Does Paul's kit DIY board come with the chip programmed ? I have no way or idea how to program chips.
The bare board is just that - bare of chips and other components. So that one does not have a programmed chip.

The assembled and tested one has everything on it, all soldered up and ready to go.

I don't see a kit ... for the AC board. There is one for the 144V DC board that includes programmed chips

My advice is to email Paul from the store and ask for what you need. I remember that you have trouble getting parts to Costa Rica. If you ask him for a price on all the parts with the bare board and a programmed chip, he will likely create a kit for you. It may not be quick, but it should be easier than you sourcing small quantities and trying to get them shipped to you
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
HaroldinCR (05-29-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

FINALLY Got the crate with the Honda controller and the GM Altermotor, at 3 PM today. Only took 3 months to go 1300 miles. What a trail of ineptitude.

Have the camera battery charging and it's raining, so, photos tomorrow.

Now to get to work modding stuff to get this altermotor to work at up to 150V and 400 Amps or so. Will try to fit a controller board, (Pauls maybe), might not fit in the Honda controller case though.

Any and all info and assistance put in this thread would be greatly appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to HaroldinCR For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-01-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi, HaroldinCR, thanks for the thread! I have the same idea in the back of my head - using the eAssist motor/alternator to power an e-Motorcycle. I saw you were in the thread over on Endless-Sphere; I'm presuming that's your Spanish source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldinCR View Post
Quick note then back to the salt mine. This is a switched reluctance altermotor, not a pure inductance motor.. The stator PULLS the rotor around instead of pushing it.
This seems counterintuitive to me. A reluctance motor relies on paths through (or across) the rotor with higher reluctance to interact with the magnetic field created by the stator. This would tend to interfere the capability to induce the required field in the rotor, regardless of its orientation, as is typical of an induction motor. What's your source for that info - I'd like to investigate further.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:36 AM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Here's hoping you get a response. I'm interested in this for a diesel-electric mild hybrid.

Have you seen http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...gr-29878.html? Four times the power and a differential, but a much higher operating voltage (320-400V vs 72-115V).
Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hi guys
Chazfisher, my info source is a youtube by Weber Auto/Weber University on the GM BAS e-assist system. A link or mention of this is in this thread. Yes, the ES thread is my Spain contact. He has said the 96V Curtis will run his project motor very well, but, that is still a $1000.00 item that I can't afford. Might keep looking for a used one, but, that is another risky situation.

Unfortunately, there is never enough funding for me to take a chance on trying to follow through with this project. I turn 74 years old in 2 weeks, have bought a couple of basic electronics books and just can not get the theory of this stuff into my overstuffed brain.

Thingstodo here on the forum has been very helpful and encouraging me to try the Paul & Sabrina 3 phase board setup, but, I just don't get it. I want to thank him for his time and prompt response to all my questions.

I did buy a resolver to encoder board to run the altermotor, but, as I said, funding is not available for me to take this chance and fail. I have the Honda IMA controller also, just no electronics knowledge.

If someone does come up with a solution I could follow/copy, I would take another shot at trying this. I truly believe this motor to be an excellent choice for motorcycle conversions.

I have a 6 phase motor and someone that will help me get it set up on my 3 wheel project. Just need to get the time. I'm slowing down much quicker than I had hoped and too many projects have me bogged down.

Please, anyone, continue to offer your results in this thread, so others can follow along.
The Following User Says Thank You to HaroldinCR For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Interesting. I will be that age next year, and have maybe $100 a month in discretionary income. I studied TV repair at a community college, but that was a long time ago.

I have an example of the Toyo/Lexus unit, but I like the lower requirements of the Buick/Impala part.

I'm not slowing down, the world is speeding up.

Reply  Post New Thread