Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Thanks for the heads-up - alloys have improved again. Still, according to Gas turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia a simple stationary turbine suitable for generators has only managed 46%. On aircraft, they are nice because they are light, reliable, and suitable for use where mach numbers matter. To get to 60% combined efficiency, the waste heat is used for a conventional steam turbine. Presumably, the Napier Nomad could have still driven a steam or stirling engine if it was on the ground - I'll be watching for news of secondary generation from diesels, and listening for whines where I have come to expect thumpers in remote communities.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Enduro E-bike - '11 PowerPedals Enduro
90 day: 2236 mpg (US)

Jota - '14 Toyota Yaris Hybrid H1
90 day: 53.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Problem is that the thermoelectric diodes aren't all that efficient. Not a problem for a nuclear-powered space probe, of course. Another and more efficient way of reclaiming exhaust energy I've seen is to let it spin a turbine (like a turbocharger), but have a generator in place of the intake side. Called a "TIGER", IIRC.
No they are not terribly efecient, but never the less, you could easely retrive a significant amount of eletricity from the exaust heat with thermoelectric elements.

Main problem at the moment, is that the TE elements dont like it too hot (those one can afford to buy that is), so actually for instance the exaustmanifold is way to hot for the TE's.

But i can be done. And apart for the cost of materials and labour it would be "free energy" in the sence, that it would otherwise just get lost.

I belive som japaneese company are doing some research in to this, the aim beeing to get rid of the alternator, and replace it wit current genereted with thermo Electric elements placed on the exaust.

I also belive I read an article on this, and it seemed they solved the heatproblem, and could generate enough electricty to run the car with all eletric systems, aircon, headligts etc.

But it was VERY expensive TE elements.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Enduro E-bike - '11 PowerPedals Enduro
90 day: 2236 mpg (US)

Jota - '14 Toyota Yaris Hybrid H1
90 day: 53.11 mpg (US)
catapillar

Has some work going on:

heat2power benchmark

BMW also - aim 10% lower fuel consumption:

Lots more interessting stuf on that site....

Last edited by Jyden; 02-13-2010 at 06:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jyden For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (03-20-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow great picture. Thanks for sharing with us

Reply  Post New Thread