Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Eco taco - '21 Toyota Tacoma Sr access cab
90 day: 22.72 mpg (US)
cooler camshaft?

I got this idea thinking about reading up on cooler camshafts and riding my bike to work. Okay ive been working on bikes for a while and while riding I noticed that I never hit above 6000 rpms unless im going 60 (which is next to never with my city driving). so I was thinking since my bike has a rev limit of 8800rpms stock if I decrease the rev limit va cooler camshaft reduce the valve springs accordingly and maybe experiment with a slightly lighter rocker arms (since the valve springs pressure is decreased). I figured ill try to find a spare parts bike /engine to do this to and just swap in the engine. And yes my top speed will be decreased but who ever needs there bike to go over 70-80 mph ever. My only problems are: 1. Figuring out cam lobe reshape to get rpm I want. 2. Figuring out valve springs so at the new rpm the valves wont float. 3. Find the new pressure value of the valve springs that would work Iinplace of my old ones. 4. Find a shop that will modify/make me the camshaft I would need with the cooler lobes. Anyone have/know of any programs/shops that would do this?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
HondaTwins Forums

Great forum with some VERY knowledgeable people and non existant squabbles.

Personally I would just chanage the sprockets to bring the revs down in each gear, unless you need top end work anyway. Reengineering the valve train can get complicated, but the guys on the honda twins forum are an encyclopeida of knowledge.

regards
Mech
Old 05-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Oh plan on doing bigger sprockets too. I was actually looking into this to incease the engine efficenticy. (Reduce valvetrain losses) reason why I didnt put this into the motorcycle section is bc ik people wouldnt mind doing this to there cars too so I was trying to collect information for the mod
Old 05-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Any good cam grinder can answer these. The ramp will dictate part of the spring pressures, reductions in mass will do the rest. Look for beehive springs to help, though an off the shelf solution may not be possible.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

What would they be called if i were to try to look up it up in the phone book/google a company to talk to? Eventually I woundnt mind if it works well on one of my bikes to mess around with this on a car. I mean a ecomodder never even gets close to is max rpms. So if I never use it might as well lose some rpms and increase efficenticy.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanf1lm View Post
What would they be called if i were to try to look up it up in the phone book/google a company to talk to? Eventually I woundnt mind if it works well on one of my bikes to mess around with this on a car. I mean a ecomodder never even gets close to is max rpms. So if I never use it might as well lose some rpms and increase efficenticy.
just google it
https://www.google.com/search?q=cams...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
I've used american in the past, but you should try to find one local if possible (more likely to believe you that this is a serious project).

The Following User Says Thank You to Superfuelgero For This Useful Post:
johnathanf1lm (05-28-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

thanks for that ill give american a try when im ready for this project (sometime in the fall/winter usually busy in the summer) ill have to find a program/formula that can figure out the min valve spring weight so that the valves don't float. since the bike is a parallel 400cc sohc with 6v (2 intake 4 exaust) im sure decreasing each valve spring pressure by even a half pound per valve would equal to 6 pounds less spring force making the engine more effiecent

Reply  Post New Thread