Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
bisecting the beast

I'm an incurable aeroholic and always on call to take a Sawsall or cutting- torch to an otherwise,perfectly functionable automobile.Having said that,a project,with the scope as you propose it, would scare me off.The practicality and safety issues expressed by some of the members should temper your enthusiasm for such an ambitious path.If you're willing to invest all those cubic man-hours of labor,you should end up with something truly ahead of the curve.I'd consider building something from a kit or plans.There's some stuff out there which will stand the test of time that you could emulate,and the engineering and physics has already been figured for you.I applaud your premise,but I think there's a simpler path with potential for even greater reward.Check out EV World and maxmpg and see whats already out there.Ebay may have orphaned EV project cars ready for a new home.The more you look the more options will unfold.Make all your mistakes on paper,then when you feel you've made the best choice,jump in with all you've got!Best to ya.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
This project would be far simpler using a body-on-frame vehicle like a compact pickup truck. You would have to keep it low to avoid tip over concerns. I've seen several pickups that have a shortened wheelbase - just cut and weld. Doing the same down the length of the truck is probably only maginally more difficult. The difficulty factor comes in narrowing the drive and suspension systems.

I also like the idea of modding a convertible. Cut off the windshield and cover the rest of the cockpit. Then add a small F1 style windscreen and a fairing behind your head, like those old road racers.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ethan - '06 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
I think if you're going to go to such a huge extent - cutting your current ride in half and converting to electric - you'd be better off building a vehicle from the ground up. If you are a decent welder, you could put together a small, light, and strong frame, drop an electric motor and some batteries in, and grab a couple of axles from a junk yard.

Doing this would probably make it easier to get it state approved - in my state custom built cars just have to go through a simple inspection to get plated. If you try to get an extremely modified 'stock' car plated - you're going to run into problems. Imagine trying to explain to the DMV why half of your car is missing and convince them its not a safety hazard.

Also gives you the benefit of retaining your current vehicle to drive daily to and from work while you build; if you convert your current car and don't have another - you're going to be SOL if you don't get it working over a weekend. And trust me, a project this big, you won't.

Reply  Post New Thread