Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Annette - '04 Ford F150 FX4

Penelope - '08 Mazda CX-7 Sport
90 day: 23.47 mpg (US)
CX-7 road trip

Hi all,

I am going on a road trip in three weeks, which will take me around 2,500 miles. I'll be driving a stock 2008 Mazda CX-7.

I'm opening this thread for suggestions for no-budged, non-destructive mods I can do to the car to optimize it for the trip.

It recently returned from a road trip to Las Vegas (3,000 miles) and averaged 26.7 mpg on that trip.

I would like to see if I can get it to average 30 mpg for the cost of a roll of tape and some cardboard/coroplast. However, as with any interstate travel and bearing a TX license plate, I don't want the car to stand out because I do not like being pulled over by police who seem to think I'm transporting drugs (It's happened three times!)

I will, allowing for the cold weather, tape the top front grille smooth with clear tape, eliminate all unnecessary weight from the car, and take my Ultragauge.

Any other CX-7 drivers out there? What else can I do?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Fill the tires to the maximum sidewall pressure.
Keep a 5 second delay behind any vehicle in front of you.

I also travel at a speed slightly slower than the majority of traffic, if the terrain is flat I use cruise control; this minimizes any speed changes and keeps your interaction with traffic to a minimum.

I do not P&G on trips as it takes too much attention and energy (with an automatic transmission). I will coast down hills and keep it in the highest gear possible when re-applying power.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I do all these things. I drop to neutral on downhills, or coasting to stale greens or fresh reds, or into lower speed limits. I top out at 65 unless there's a tail wind. I avoid cars sitting in my blind spot.

I'll add the CX-7 to my garage before the trip and update from the road so you can follow me, egg me on, and get me to try things.

I'll have a calibrated ultragauge with me, so I'll be able to give you hard figures.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
What are the temperatures looking like? You mention that it's cold in Texas - it is going to be cold wherever you're going?

If I block the grilles completely on my Focus, I notice that the car will run a bit warmer if the temperature is warmer out - even to the point of kicking the fans on (that's counter productive, of course, as that wastes energy)

Try some clear tape over the wheels to make some aero wheel-cover type coverings?

Is it AWD? It's a ton of work, but I wonder what the result of pulling the shafts and driveshaft would be?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't think the center diff would appreciate yanking the rear half shafts on an AWD car.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It's a 2WD sport model.

I'll be driving from Austin, TX to Oak Ridge, TN, then Indianapolis, IN, then back to Austin. Almost the entire trip will be freeway.

So far, I've inflated the tires to 44 PSI (sidewall maximum) and taped up the front top grille, and blocked 1/4 of the side portion of the lower grille. Driven around on a 45F night, the thermostat was still only partially opening, with coolant at 185F. Fans come on at 198-199F. I've also put weatherstripping in the hood gaps.

Thanks again everyone for the great ideas and advice. This is my opportunity to show my wife that eco mods and hypermiling are worthwhile pursuits, and I might get a few less eyerolls from her over the aerocap I'm putting on my F150.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Elephant - '07 Toyota Tundra SR5
90 day: 19.27 mpg (US)

Raberta RX - '14 Lexus RX350 Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticuser View Post
This is my opportunity to show my wife that eco mods and hypermiling are worthwhile pursuits, and I might get a few less eyerolls from her over the aerocap I'm putting on my F150.
I feel your Pain Brother LOL
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I taped up the upper front grille on the CX-7 and showed her how it could save us $$$ and she said, "I'd rather pay extra and not have my car look stupid." So I promised to take it off. I got some coroplast and painted it with black rubber paint so it would match perfectly and stuck that in the grille.

So now, she doesn't even know it's there.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Fold the mirrors in if it's legal in the states you're driving through. MN only requires one rear view mirror.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
cx-7, grille block, road trip