Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
Did a grill block today on my focus

Today I did a grill block on my 2006 focus wagon.

Used some square mat for children as ''filling material''. I had a bunch of these laying around and the back color matches perfectly. used some zipties to hold it in place.

Wanted it to be as stealth as possible.

This is the square mat for children

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Got MPG?

The Car - '09 Toyota Corolla CE Enhanced
How much of an advantage is a grill block in front of the grill compared to behind it? I currently have been running a full upper grill block on my Corolla but it looks kind of goofy where as this isn't even noticeable.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphector View Post
Today I did a grill block on my 2006 focus wagon.

Used some square mat for children as ''filling material''. I had a bunch of these laying around and the back color matches perfectly. used some zipties to hold it in place.
Good work on the block off plate. You may want to back the foam up with 1/8 inch plywood or something to keep the air from pushing the foam back at freeway speeds. I’m guessing behind the grille isn’t as efficient as in front, but the difference may not be that much.

Once you find out the results you could always get some clear lexan or acrylic and make a plate for the outside and mount it the same way (through the grille) with wire ties, and double sided sticky tape between it and the chrome surround, test that version and see how they compare.

I did a block off on my Saturn, blocked the entire grille with no ill effect even during 112+ degree days of summer, but keep an eagle eye on your temp gauge until you’re sure you’re getting sufficient cooling air from down below. It’ll sneak up and bite you on the a__ if you’re not careful.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbywan View Post
I did a block off on my Saturn, blocked the entire grille with no ill effect even during 112+ degree days of summer, but keep an eagle eye on your temp gauge until you’re sure you’re getting sufficient cooling air from down below. It’ll sneak up and bite you on the a__ if you’re not careful.
Thx for your comments but I'm living quite up north so I don't think It will overheat with my driving style. Tought I waited my obd2 bluetooth dongle before doing the grill block so I could get a real engine temperature indication on my cellphone. Temps never get any highier than 90f here.....
Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
On most cars, it is the bottom grille that provides the majority of cooling air to the radiator. The upper grille is mostly for cosmetics.

Keep up the good work ! Very stealthy indeed.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

"Tought I waited my obd2 bluetooth dongle before doing the grill block so I could get a real engine temperature indication on my cellphone."

That's cool, that could be useful for lots of things, can you give us any details on it?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bandit - '97 Geo Metro
nice work with the mat, I have some of that stuff that I work out on but I will keep it in mind if I need something like. Looks good.

-Matt
Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbywan View Post
That's cool, that could be useful for lots of things, can you give us any details on it?
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...iew-17426.html

Got the bluetooth obd2 dongle for 20$ on ebay and I'm using it on my android phone (android phones are getting dirt cheap, saw a couple of them for less than 100$ without contract)

Reply  Post New Thread