Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Did someone flip the "drive like a jerk" switch?

I swear I've seen more agressive, impatient, stupid, and blatant highly excessive speeding and driving in the past two and a half days than I have in the past two and a half months! I almost had my bumper ripped off by a tC that came up from behind me and flew past me last night going 70+ in a 55 zone just to slam on his brakes about 150 feet ahead of me after making two lane changes. This is just one example of many in the past few days. If this is what $3 gas does I'm all for $5+.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
I have been seeing more of the same here too. Must be that gas prices directly relate with the weight of your feet, heavy brakes, heavy acceleration.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I swear I've seen more agressive, impatient, stupid, and blatant highly excessive speeding and driving in the past two and a half days than I have in the past two and a half months! I almost had my bumper ripped off by a tC that came up from behind me and flew past me last night going 70+ in a 55 zone just to slam on his brakes about 150 feet ahead of me after making two lane changes. This is just one example of many in the past few days. If this is what $3 gas does I'm all for $5+.
Don't you wish there were cops around when stuff like that happens? It happens all the time now in MA and NH, where I drive.

I get to witness people going through the red lights around here, not just once in a while, every day! It is ridiculous. Time to have eco-driver training courses .

Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Ive noticed this here too, not just now, but way back before when gas went down for awhile. Not so much the behavior, but just the number of cars out. With tourists it never changes, but Ive noticed the local traffic volume practically explode. Its like everyone is out for a joyride now. I was saying to myself yesterday on the way home that I think Id rather pay more for gas than deal with this zoo on the road.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BBsRide - '06 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 31.64 mpg (US)
That's pretty much the norm around here. But with the mourning and evening rush it is usually the big SUV's and contractor pickups/vans that are the culprits.

Bill
SippingFuel
Check out BBsGarage
Picture ur Pet

Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Last weekend I was on the highway between Mont-Tremblant and Montreal, and for roughly 30 miles I followed a white Escalade from Ontario doing 50. Go figure.

The Escalade was a rarity, but around here, even though gas prices went down noticeably, it looks like a fair share of people held to their newly developed habits.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
This weekend was crazy. Usually heading north on Friday, theyve mostly dissipated by 10PM. Not this time, they just kept on a coming. But it was different than summer. There were very few high end cars, and I only saw one Illinois plate all weekend. It was all Michigan drivers, nearly every one of them towing a camper, boat, or trailer with ATVs, or ATVs in the back of a pickup, or a minivan with a cartop carrier. And they werent going so fast. Looks like everyone who couldnt afford to take the family out all summer decided to do it this weekend now they can afford it. Crappy rain/snow mix weather didnt seem to matter. Lots of combos that use a lot of gas.

Coming back Sunday night, I figured Id top off the tank at the usual station in Fife Lake. Couldnt figure out why the pump wouldnt work, then I checked another pump. Turns out they were bone dry on both regular and midgrade. Unfortunately I already put in my acetone and reset the guino, but I just headed home. Didnt check and see if anybody else was out of gas.

Ill fill up here locally in the next day or two for more $$$. I also noticed that I got my worst mpg lately going to work this morning (29), despite not having to scrape ice, so maybe its the high concentration of acetone. Or maybe not. Ill get my numbers straight at the next fillup.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yep, I've noticed it in the last couple weeks... seems to be a direct corrolation to drivers getting more aggresive as fuel prices go down. I certainly noticed the other way 'round as prices soared.

But no, I don't wish fuel prices to go back up.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Drivers around here have gotten crazier since prices dropped, and the commuting traffic has gotten a lot worse too. Guess people stopped taking the train/bus.

I will finally admit that gas is cheap again. I just filled up this morning for less than an hour's pay. But I would trade that cheapness for safer roads in a minute: my life is worth far more to me than an extra $20 at the gas pump.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I could guess it does bring the lead foots back into action.

The plus side (as I do alot of driving around) is spotting a mack superliner (the ONLY v8 big truck, but its bad 3mpg)
and bigger cars at highway speeds (a canadian crown vic in the fast lane comes to mind) is great to see....

For awhile the automotive kamakaze put upon us with gas prices has japan thinking it makes big safe cars for the REAL 80mph.

Reply  Post New Thread