Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Turd - '90 Honda Civic wagon Dx
Now that would be cool a diesel trike with a big payload!!!
Yeah i looked at it a little bit thats basically what i want to make my car just with technology i can understand and work on myself

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I was looking at this engine: Kohler Engines: KDW1003: Kohler Diesel Liquid-Cooled: Product Detail: Engines 3-pot IDI water-cooled.

But this one doesn't seem so bad altough it's a little heavier: Kohler Engines: KD625-2: Kohler Diesel Air-Cooled: Product Detail: Engines twin, direct injection and air-cooled.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Those engines are just what im looking for. Im not to concerned with a little extra weight i can lighten other parts of the car to make up for it. I need to measure how much space i have under the hood to work with and i need to figure out how much my stock engine weighs so i'll be able to guess at a final weight so i can figure how much power i'll really need. I know where an onan 4 cylinder is that i could probly get very cheep but onans are heavy and underpowered, do you have any experience with onan diesels? Can more power be made with one safely? I'd hate to hot rod it and start shedding parts on the test drive
Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok my engine is aproximately 24 inches longx24 inches widex19 inches tall with a little bit to play with and based on the internet 208lbs dry weight
Old 11-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Remember: less weight over the front axle means less effort to steer, and a lighter engine wouldn't require you to beef up the suspension and brakes so much...
Old 11-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes less weight is always better. But i also have a small budget for this project if i do it and light diesels are a bit pricier but im definately looking around for light ones. Another thought i had is to drop a gm 6.2 diesel into a pontiac firebird. My dad has one that had a fire under the hood ( there has to be ha good joke there somewhere ) i could get cheap and the 6.2 can be had cheap.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

better rethink that slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbeflying View Post
The reason for such low hp is i don't need great acceleration. Im looking to make it get great mpgs just cruising on the highway. How much hp do you guys think i need? A vw diesel would be great but they arent easy to find and parts arent either. I dont mind going slow my diesel blazer has if i remember correctly about 140 horsepower it does just fine because of the torque.
We have some of the flattest straightest roads in the nation here,
But your lack of power might get ya killed when getting onto the hiways.
About 1/3 have a moderate incline and short merge lanes so plan your 0-60 at 2+ degrees in 1/2 mile.
Then factor in the I own the road people and the I never yields or the rollin 40 over postedees and you are a mangled lump 33 feet past end of merge lane.
within a month.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

again It all sounds great but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbeflying View Post
Yes less weight is always better. But i also have a small budget for this project if i do it and light diesels are a bit pricier but im definately looking around for light ones. Another thought i had is to drop a gm 6.2 diesel into a pontiac firebird. My dad has one that had a fire under the hood ( there has to be ha good joke there somewhere ) i could get cheap and the 6.2 can be had cheap.
Max Power @3000 RPM hp (kW) 1 22.1 (16.5)
Displacement cu in (cc) 76.2 (1248)
Bore in (mm) 3.7 (95)
Stroke in (mm) 3.5 (88)
Max Torque lbs. ft (Nm)1 38.7 (52.5)

Look at the lack of torque it just isnt there. Ive also wanted to do this for awhile with my 03 civic. but what I sent before, that isnt just an off handed comment. I witnessed a mini china truck attempt an on ramp and ditched out at last second and slide down the hill trying to merge. This is a on ramp I always took for granted but always tried to merge into at about 70.
He had found 45 maybe and it wasnt pretty.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
We have some of the flattest straightest roads in the nation here,
But your lack of power might get ya killed when getting onto the hiways.
About 1/3 have a moderate incline and short merge lanes so plan your 0-60 at 2+ degrees in 1/2 mile.
Then factor in the I own the road people and the I never yields or the rollin 40 over postedees and you are a mangled lump 33 feet past end of merge lane.
within a month.
Thank you for your concern and input. Maybe i should go with the firebird and 6.2 diesel. Ive ridden underpowered motorcycles on i-40 and yes its frightening so i understand what your saying about being able to accelerate quickly.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

A sports car with a Diesel is nice too.

Reply  Post New Thread