Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,283

Beetle - '01 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 51.36 mpg (US)

4x4 - '89 Toyota Pickup DLX
90 day: 33.09 mpg (US)
Thanks: 302
Thanked 165 Times in 128 Posts
Engine oil does not burn cleanly. You could pyrolyze it and run the distillate, but either way you are creating tons of air pollution just to save a few dollars in fuel.

Please be responsible.

__________________
I'm not coasting, I'm shifting slowly.


  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 842
Thanks: 39
Thanked 89 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Engine oil does not burn cleanly. You could pyrolyze it and run the distillate, but either way you are creating tons of air pollution just to save a few dollars in fuel.

Please be responsible.
what are you talking about? engine oil, diesel, gasoline, are all very closely related.

Heck the DEFINITION of diesel includes a mix of gasoline and engine oil.

Don't talk of things you do not know.

Please be responsible.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: london, on
Posts: 305

The Antichrist - '95 Land rover Discovery Plain Jane
90 day: 12.7 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
what are you talking about? engine oil, diesel, gasoline, are all very closely related.

Heck the DEFINITION of diesel includes a mix of gasoline and engine oil.

Don't talk of things you do not know.

Please be responsible.

Hence they call diesels "oil burners". Original diesels ran on coal and saw dust but the injection was problematic, hence the switch over to waste oil.

What is the optic sensor used for in the injection pump, something to do with a computer?

If injectors crud up why not run water in the intake an steam clean the cylinders?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mechman600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,225

Colorado - '04 Chevrolet Colorado
90 day: 22.98 mpg (US)
Thanks: 190
Thanked 271 Times in 165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
If injectors crud up why not run water in the intake an steam clean the cylinders?
This will not clean the crud from the internals of the injectors - mainly the plunger, spring and orifices. It typically happens with SVO or WVO that is insufficiently heated, or many other non-diesel fuels forced through it. Literally.

If you are playing around with a vehicle with a DPF, I HIGHLY recommend staying away from anything that contains synthetics like engine oils or ATF. They will fill the DPF with ash in no time flat. The ash will not regen out and you will be removing the DPF to clean or replace it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Diesel_Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,194

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Thanks: 112
Thanked 502 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
This will not clean the crud from the internals of the injectors - mainly the plunger, spring and orifices. It typically happens with SVO or WVO that is insufficiently heated, or many other non-diesel fuels forced through it. Literally.

If you are playing around with a vehicle with a DPF, I HIGHLY recommend staying away from anything that contains synthetics like engine oils or ATF. They will fill the DPF with ash in no time flat. The ash will not regen out and you will be removing the DPF to clean or replace it.
Agreed. Only thing to remember is that newer common rail fuel systems are much more sensitive to debris. The reason being is that the pressures are much highr (on the orger of 30,000 psi) that means the tolerances for all the moving parts are very tight and also, the actual spray holes of the injector are extremely small. If you take out a modern common rail injector and look at the tip, you litterally almost need a magnifying glass to see the spray holes.
__________________
Diesel Dave

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mechman600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 1,225

Colorado - '04 Chevrolet Colorado
90 day: 22.98 mpg (US)
Thanks: 190
Thanked 271 Times in 165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creasey View Post
Natural gas?
Westport HD :: Natural Gas Engines for Heavy-Duty Trucks

I have a hunch that LNG is the future. CNG is highly range limited, even with a large 4000 psi vessel. LNG can fit six times the natural gas in the same space, and it is safer because of the much lower pressure.

I did the mechanic training for the product in this link, and I gotta say, I am a believer.


Last edited by mechman600; 04-21-2012 at 03:25 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com