Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Digital locks on your car's software

"The same kind of digital locks are now used by carmakers to force consumers into getting repairs at authorized dealers."

Here is the full article, with the "listen" link, from NPR:
Why The Library Of Congress Has A Lock On Your Phone : All Tech Considered : NPR

yrs,
james

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Makes sense to me. They are saying since apple owns the os and itunes on your phone, Nissan owns the programming on your car.

Ive seen you tube videos of guys reprogramming their evos and such cars and completely screw up the engine causing physical damage and costly repairs. Thats not a warranty repair and shouldnt be expected of the dealer to fix. I amsure this is the route they are taking to eliminate it.

Likewise reprogramming to allow higher red lines, mo power output, etc, etc, etc. I dont think hacking a car should be off limits, just that it will void waranty claims if it causes a failure.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
the crazy guy in back

Cressy - '90 Toyota Cressida

Pickup - '91 Toyota Pickup base
Send a message via AIM to kamesama980
YAY for media and govt talking about stuff they don't understand...

OBDII was the first really big effort to standardize car computers. It's been updated a few times over the years too. All mfrs are required to follow it and you can get a LOT of info from it. It's just a minimum standard though for monitoring and reporting. Yes, mfrs have a LOT more available above and beyond OBDII. However it's not a matter of having "digital locks" on there, it's more about not releasing the language it's written in. Not to force people to come to dealers but to keep warranty claims down (from people f**king with the computers) and keep competitors from seeing their software. I work for Cummins and have seen some of our software (no I won't share since the current software hasn't been cracked yet) and it really is that way.

Why? because they've been burned before.

-2001 BMW R1200c
-1970 VW Beetle
-2015 Prius (for the wife)
"You don't get to blame me for how I fix what you broke."
Reply  Post New Thread