Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Mighty Mira - '92 Daihatsu Mira
90 day: 61.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
What kind of tape did you use? If I had to guess I would say it's just clear plastic, packing tape from the pictures, but I just want to be sure before I use it on my car. My car has been in a few accidents by previous owners so there are large gaps that need to be sealed around the head lamps and near the rear fender. I just want to be sure that it will not pull paint or dissolve the clear coat on the paint before I do this because I know some kinds of tape have an acid in them that can damage things such as paper.
The tape is heavy duty construction type plastic tape from a hardware store.

I have not tried to remove the tape, so I don't know what the effects are. If you go ahead with it, assume the worst - that it will strip the paint. I don't know that, but that was my assumption going into it.

The whole reason I could do this was because I have a cheap car and I don't care about resale value. In fact, considering the fuel I'll be saving over driving a standard, unmodified car in a standard way, the payback period is 5 years. If fuel prices go higher in the next 5 years, obviously, the payback period will be shorter. e.g., if they double, it's 2.5 years. If they triple, it's 1.7 years.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Newtonsfirstlaw: thanks for the info. I will test a small corner of the car that is already in bad shape to see if it does any damage after leaving it there for a while before I continue further. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the metro experience (retired) - '94 geo metro 4 dr HB
90 day: 66.44 mpg (US)
My car was in a wreck before I bought it too. Many big gaps in the front so I've been using "duck" high performance packing tape for a year now without issue. It might leave goo behind but it comes off with wd-40 or "goo gone". It will pull paint that isn't sound underneath though.

Best tank= 81.23 mpg on 07-01-2008
Longest range= 791 miles on 9.74 gallons
Reply  Post New Thread