Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Here's some details on megasquirt, not simple.
How MegaSquirt<sup>®</sup> Works

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What if you used a MAF sensor (nichrome wire suspended in the airstream) to get an initial setting, then the O2 sensor tweaks the setting tables over time?

Or if you operated the throttle with a servo motor so the controller knows exactly what to expect?

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 07-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post

Or if you operated the throttle with a servo motor so the controller knows exactly what to expect?
This actually sounds like a great idea. I could use two injectors, one that's controlled by the throttle (as a basic setting, always calibrated to run a tad bit lean) and then a second one that gets it's info from the O2 sensor (to fine tune)

What I'm trying to get around is a complicated computer thing (like megasquirt)
Old 07-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I read at some point about a DIY solution for small engines that was being called "MicroSquirt"... not sure what ever happened to it.

The problem with controlling an injector by the throttle, is that the throttle isn't necessarily going to match the RPM/Load, hence the reason you should have some sort of flow reference. You can only assume that you have the injector set to run slightly lean, for the RPM that the throttle would normally maintain under a no-load situation (where you'd be setting up the map). As soon as you changed RPM, loaded the engine, etc, or changed throttle, you'd be dynamically changing the fuel curve based on throttle only... while the engine is still loaded or at a different RPM than the throttle can support.

Hopefully, that makes sense to you. You'd still be stuck with a slow responding O2 sensor-backed system that runs worse than a carb'd setup.

I'm trying to be constructive as possible here within my scope of knowledge and thoughts. I don't mean to seem condescending to you, if I'm coming off that way.

Now, if you operated the throttle so that it could only ever be X over 0 (where 0 is "neutral", or the throttle required to maintain RPM under zero load), you could use your latest proposal to build the system effectively, however, RPM changes would be slow and arduous, at best. Sudden changes in load and/or engine speed could cause serious lag problems, and you'd be best to still have an RPM reference so the throttle control could reset itself to 0+X.

Reply  Post New Thread