Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Question --- DIY fuel injection --- possible? (For Scooter)

I have a GY6 (scooter) engine I want to convert to fuel injection for fun.

I was thinking, would it be possible to make it REALLY simple by simply using a O2 sensor and making it always run in closed loop? I feel like all you would need would be a simple voltage controller and as the O2 sensor reads leaner the injector would squirt more... ?

Or is that WAY to simplified?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cheap-o-metro - '96 Geo Metro
That sounds pretty simple to me, but afraid it wouldn't be very effective. It would probably work on a steady running engine with a constant load and no fluctuations in the weather. You could do it using Mega Squirt, probably cost you around a couple hundred bucks to do it though.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
It may be too slow, i.e. here they say a code will throw if the o2 sensor takes 1 second or more to respond at idle:
4x4Wire - Tech: Time to Replace the O2 Sensor on your 3rd Gen Toyota?

if you were idling, cracked the throttle open, and had to wait a whole second for the fuel to catch up, your engine would probably die of leanness.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So you would HAVE TO base the injector on both an O2 sensor AND the throttle?... That gets a little more complicated
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Yeah, you need something to calculate a basic load map. Most small engines don't need timing advance, etc... so no need for all that jazz, but you at least need a pre and post reading to keep response times, and to have a little bit of protection in case one or the other fails.

TPS and O2 might cut it together, with not much else. In the fuel mapping, assume a constant VE (Small rev range, calculate it yourself.), determine the proper fuel/air ratio for the intake volume, and set it up so the TPS alters the fuel map, and the O2 is used as a secondary reference.

You could probably befriend a tuner geek that can write a simple fuel management system for you.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah I need something VERY basic (i.e. low cost).

I was looking at the engine and since its so small (the piston, the cylinder head, everything!) I don't know how much LAG there would be from just running it off the O2 sensor? I can't think that it would really be THAT much since the piston is so small?

Or maybe I could combine a really small jet (like in a carburated setup) to run parallel with the injector. That way, in extremely fast throttle openings, the engine will still run at a normal air/fuel ratio and not completely go lean...

??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	6269  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's a very small, air cooled engine... it's going to be pretty susceptible to leaning out.

You could give it a try with an accelerator jet/pump, but that's going to add some complexity to the system overall, won't it?

Even with the idea that I had, you're still going to be running weird most of the time, because load still changes with throttle angle and situation, and you're not compensating for that with any sort of manifold pressure or airflow readings.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
You could give it a try with an accelerator jet/pump, but that's going to add some complexity to the system overall, won't it?
Well I can run a Tee off the injector which already needs a pump in the first place so I wouldnt really need anything else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Even with the idea that I had, you're still going to be running weird most of the time, because load still changes with throttle angle and situation, and you're not compensating for that with any sort of manifold pressure or airflow readings.
I was thinking any change in throttle is going to be directly reflected by the engine running leaner or richer... so the O2 sensor would detect that and tell the injector to act accordingly ... or no?

Maybe im thinking WAY to simple lol
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
Well I can run a Tee off the injector which already needs a pump in the first place so I wouldnt really need anything else...

I was thinking any change in throttle is going to be directly reflected by the engine running leaner or richer... so the O2 sensor would detect that and tell the injector to act accordingly ... or no?

Maybe im thinking WAY to simple lol
Re: The pump - you'd need a power valve, then, because you don't want your accelerator jet always leaking fuel. More complexity.

Yeah, the injector would reflect changes in air mass. Safest bet would be to nix the accelerator jet, setup the injector control to run rich at all times, and allow the O2 to adjust the mixture back to stoich as necessary. That would protect the engine, but waste fuel for throttle dynamics. It probably wouldn't be so bad, though. Again, we're talking about a very small engine.

Why not build something like this, and tweak it after you get it working? It's easier to ask/answer questions once you've actually identified issues. It's nice to think hypothetically, but that's all it'll ever be unless you force yourself past the obvious objections and "just do it", then fix the problems once they're physically present.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
basslover911 (07-01-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
you can get enough sensors off ebay/junkyard for cheap to do a much better job than a carburetor, especially with an o2 sensor. But it's a notable amount of work to get it to a point where it is doing a better job.

lemme peek at the obduino code since it has a similiar problem to solve re: consumption from sensor readings..

Basically you want (going with iat and map instead of maf for availability/ simpler driver setup):
rpm signal
intake air temp
manifold pressure

you also need some constants
displacement
volumetric efficiency
and a specific gas constant

from there you can make a pretty good guess as to how much air mass is going into the engine, and how much fuel to add.

And yah, you are gonna need a microcontroller + injector(s) + pumps/relays + other support circuits

the megasquirt might be overkill, there was another atmega based fuel injection system too, lemme see...
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post61268 but that does timing and has turbo maps and stuff

so, yah it is doable certainly, but not simple by most measures, if you want something that is better (or even equivalent) than a carburetor.