Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Exclamation DIY: Make a PVC Catch Can for your PCV System

This won't be one of my best DIYs simply because I didn't take pictures while I made it. You should be able to get the gist of it enough so that you too can make a PVC PCV System Catch Can!

Things You'll Need:
  • (QTY 1) 1 1/2" (or 2") PVC pipe (I bought a pre-cut 2' section from Home Depot)
  • (QTY 1) 1 1/2" NON-Threaded Cap (2" if you are using 2" PVC)
  • (QTY 1) 1 1/2" THREADED cap (2" if you are using 2" PVC)
  • (QTY 1) 1 1/2" Male Threaded End (2" if you.... oh you get the idea by now about the 2" stuff)
  • (QTY 2) 1/4" NPT (Male) Barbed ports (air compressor fittings)
  • (QTY 2) 1/4" NPT (female) to BSPT (Male) 90° adapter (Can't find a picture yet)
  • PVC cleaner and glue
  • Drill and drill bits
  • 3/8" Fuel/Emission hose ~3'
  • JB weld
  • (QTY 1) Stainless steel scrub pad

What To Do:
Cut your section of PVC pipe down to about 9"

Clean and glue on the NON-Threaded cap to one end and the threaded end on the other end of the cut pipe:

Drill two holes in the threaded cap just large enough to screw in the 90° adapters, then screw in the barbed fittings:

Cut a chunk of the rest of the PVC pipe off that is roughly 1" wide and 3" long. JB weld it in between the fittings inside the threaded cap:

(This serves to divert the incoming air so the stainless steel scrub pad has a chance to help remove the oil droplets as well as helping to hold the brass fittings in place)

Let the JB Weld setup

Paint the Catch Can (optional):

Install hoses and place the entire scrub pad down into the tube assembly you made earlier:

Install in a high point (higher than the engine block) in the engine compartment (I zip tied mine up next to the brake master cylinder for now):

Not the Best DIY but it was cheap as I had the JB weld and PVC cleaner and glue already. The PVC components were less than $6.

Feel free to post comments and questions here.

Last edited by TomO; 05-27-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread