Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSTIC View Post
Oh I should have mentioned my driving during testing covered a very wide range. Hot, cold, wet, dry, city and country (and any combination of those). And a couple of mountain ranges too.

And just for good measure, some 150kph cruising in 35*c weather...
]

That may be so, but when they make a car they design it so that say for example should you choose to live in the Mojave desert and drive around all day, your car will keep going and wont have its components break down due to thermal failure or parts start melting. Not just take a drive one afternoon. Even so, some otherwise well designed cars suffer with all their guts exposed. Take for example the earlier v12 S-class Benzes, great cars, great mechanicals...but they generate so much heat that over time they would literally melt all the plastic components underhood if you stepped on it regularly or drive around all day....this is why today they are not the most desirable of cars even if you do find one still running.

What I am saying is there are no free lunches, yes you might gain efficiency in the short term, but unless you are engineering in ways to protect and cool vital components, you are shortening the life of your car or the rate at which parts breakdown....it does not always happen overnight.

The Following User Says Thank You to XJguy For This Useful Post:
MrMiata (11-13-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Ecomod

Dobbin - '04 Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 A/T
Worth noting on the Audi A8 undertray is that the exhaust system is fully exposed - pipes, mufflers, right down to the tailpipe. Take note! No dummies, those guys...
Old 11-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Evil Genius

LPG FTW - '96 VW Cabrio

The Green Bimmer - '95 BMW 525i

The White Bimmer - '94 BMW 530i
i have to say BMW for the win and rear diffusers are the bees knees if used correctly.

joking aside i am doing similar things to my 94 530i and 96 vw cabrio. cabby needs it since its not lowered. my bimmer is lowered almost 2 inches in front and 1.5 in back. has a slight rake which creates a low pressure area in the mid-rear area. with belly pans and a diffuser it would get really good downforce at highway speed (good during passing semi-trucks and turbulent windstorms) and less air under car = lower Cd.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

One of the things that could be done to help with the heat issues and air build up under the hood would be to some how vent the engine compartment. One of the things I have done on some of my cars is to remove the weather stripping between the hood and the firewall. It's not a big gap, but some cars you can space the hood up in the rear to let the air out. Ever noticed the hood on the old Ford GT 40? Trans Am's had a vent in the front fender between the inner fender and the firewall to vent the engine compartment. All the air that goes thru the radiator is vented out over the top of the hood. I haven't done it on this car because of the oil smell from minor oil leaks and seepage. Those fumes go straight into the air intake for HVAC (low pressure area at the base of the windshield) if it is switched to flow thru ventilation. I could keep that closed, but sometimes I like to use the outside air pressure to bring in cool air depending on the seasons. I have some other places I may add vents too.
You could add some louvers to the rear area of the hood too. Just my thoughts on this Idea.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2005 BMW 3 series have undertrays that extend well behind the front wheels as well.

Dave
Old 12-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
Quote:
Originally Posted by slime View Post
space the hood up in the rear to let the air out.

My understanding is that the area at the rear of the hood / bonnet at the base of the windscreen is a high pressure area, and air is more likely to travel into the engine bay from that area, than escape from it.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Delivery 'Boy - '86 Suzuki Mighty Boy
90 day: 37.15 mpg (US)

SkipSwift - '13 Suzuki Swift GL
90 day: 35.44 mpg (US)
generally the best place for a vent is at the front of the bonnet (ok hood...). Here in australia a few 80'z sports models were made with reverse facing scoops to best utilise the high pressure area at the base of the windscreen.

At least that explains why my mates rb30 equipped r32 would overheat without the fans on. He had to raise the rear of the bonnet for inlet manifold clearance...

incidentally I never did do a before and after pressure drop test with these trays, just economy and indicated temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyrabbit
In God we trust. All others: bring data
Reply  Post New Thread