Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Montana was smarter then the feds on the speed limit and just made the fine $5. FU Jimmy Carter!
AFAIK , the states 'could' do the same kind of thing for all the 'safety' stuff also. Car that doesn't meet federal safety __ .. pay a $1 fine when you buy it.

I haven't seen any of the 50 states themselves (or the majority of people in any of the states) show an interest in doing that. Weather you think it's good or bad, I don't see the people themselves pushing for it.

The trend I see .. it is the majority of individuals that are supplying the pressure / push for perpetual safety improvement... Supply and Demand .. Companies and Government are only supplying what the majority keep pushing for.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #192 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
It costs money to jump through regulatory hurdles. Regulatory hurdles, by and large, serve a purpose, even if we tend to focus on the things they prevent us from being able to do.

It also costs a lot of money to run a company badly. Just like with regulations, people focus on the wrong things here. Shareholders and management would rather sell pickups for $50k than well thought out people movers for $10k. Or $6800, for that matter- have you noticed how much capital isn't getting thrown at Paul Elio?

Everything that lowers the price of a car hurts the car companies' pricing structure and isn't going to get done- except maybe complaining about the price of airbags. GM started losing money big time in 2005, but they kept paying a dividend for another three years. Maybe it's a Common Core thing, but I don't see how a company that's losing money has any profits left over to pay out a dividend to its shareholders. The shareholders didn't complain, though: they were happy to believe their board and management who kept pouring the "profits" to them, even when there weren't any.

Mandated equipment isn't what made their products unaffordable or their business unprofitable, and they have no interest at all in selling inexpensive cars except as a way of getting entry level buyers into their stores until they can afford "real" cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #193 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Charlie,
So you are saying a small car is not a "real car"? My metro is more than enough to get me from point A to point B and is as real as any other car out there. I fail to see the logic that a bigger more expensive car is better than a cheap entry level car. There are trade offs in any equation; do you want more safety features, driving assist features, entertainment, trim, cost, etc. Not everyone wants wood trim or leather seats. Not everyone even wants a radio! Not everyone event needs an AC system.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #194 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I drive a Fit.

I'm saying that the US auto manufacturing industry doesn't see them as real cars. Real cars have more profit per unit than the entire sticker price of a little car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 PM   #195 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
AFAIK , the states 'could' do the same kind of thing for all the 'safety' stuff also. Car that doesn't meet federal safety __ .. pay a $1 fine when you buy it.

I haven't seen any of the 50 states themselves (or the majority of people in any of the states) show an interest in doing that. Weather you think it's good or bad, I don't see the people themselves pushing for it.

The trend I see .. it is the majority of individuals that are supplying the pressure / push for perpetual safety improvement... Supply and Demand .. Companies and Government are only supplying what the majority keep pushing for.
All of this "majority" forcing their opinions on the minority is not how America is supposed to work. Same goes for minority forcing their beliefs on the majority for that matter. Why can't you just do what you want w/o making it mandatory for everybody to do what you want? The other problem is lawsuits and the great glee juries seem to get in sticking it to the big corporations any chance they get.
Normally this would be easy to get around. Ordering whatever weird thing you want from from far off land that makes it in the global manufacturing universe can get you what you want. With cars though the federal government won't allow them on the road. There is nothing a state can do to get around this.
On a side note I would just love to see a little experiment in our 50 states. That's what the 50 states should be after all 50 unique governments so out of all of them there should be a place that fits what you believe. Instead it seems some know that if they allowed real freedom on place the migration would show what the majority really wants, and what really works for true progress. So I would love to see just one single state allowed to do it's own thing. Texas is the obvious choice for a fair shake but heck I'd take anything, West Virginia whatever. Run it real libertarian free from the feds for 50 years and then compare.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #196 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
It is offensive to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr that government is telling him how to stay alive and that everyone else is forcing their beliefs on him.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #197 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Everyone else?
There used to be a whole bunch that did not care about safety equipment in their cars but they all died in car accidents, thanks to Darwin.

Or would you think the safety stuff is related to Intelligent Design ?

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #198 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
All of this "majority" forcing their opinions on the minority is not how America is supposed to work.
How do you figure ?

We vote (majority rules) .. for laws, for representatives, constitutional amendments , etc ... that's how it was setup from the beginning.

Quote:
Why can't you just do what you want w/o making it mandatory for everybody to do what you want?
Because what people want to do has an effect on other people ... Our world and our society is a very interconnected web .. We do not function as islands of isolation from the rest of the world and the rest of our species.

Things that person A wants sometimes come in conflict with what person B wants .. when that happens they both can't have 100% of what they want.

Quote:
With cars though the federal government won't allow them on the road. There is nothing a state can do to get around this.
AFAIK .. It isn't the federal government .. that is the state government choosing to comply with federal policies .. in exchange for the federal money being offered to them for doing so... just like when the federal government admitted they didn't have the authority to force a speed limit .. but they could remove federal money to states who don't comply.

Further it doesn't seem to me to be the government separate from the people ... as if the government is imposing something the majority are against .. Instead it seems to me the people themselves are the ones driving and applying the pressure ... the state and federal governments are complying with the pressure that the people push for.

Quote:
Instead it seems some know that if they allowed real freedom on place the migration would show what the majority really wants, and what really works for true progress.
I think what we have is what the majority thinks they want ... as good or as bad as that is .. The majority vote on election day and they vote with their Dollar $$... As long as a higher 'safety' rating is a selling feature worth more $$ ... that is the majority voting with their $$$.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #199 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Everyone else?
There used to be a whole bunch that did not care about safety equipment in their cars but they all died in car accidents, thanks to Darwin.

Or would you think the safety stuff is related to Intelligent Design ?
I don't care about safety. I'm not dead from a car accident. And I'm also no creationist nutjob.

But I still believe it to be improper for the government to be dictating this much to its own citizens. It's personally offensive and insulting that I need to be treated like a child; what's worse is that so many others actually do need to be. Perhaps if we weren't force-fed what to do all the time, folks would be able to exercise enough common sense to figure it out on their own.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 03-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #200 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Uh, I do NOT believe a single individual voter was ever asked about EPA-mandated safety stuff. The ONLY people who voted on what EPA decided to do was Congress members...you know, those people who eat at the Lobbyists' "Hog Trough."

Sure EPA asked for inputs AFTER they made up their mind, but then typically ignored the inputs. Like their current "press" for E15 fuel.

Reply  Post New Thread