Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Do/did you own one of the cars on the list?
Yes 24 48.00%
No 26 52.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Never owned one on the list, but I did once have a Chevy Vega, GM's counterpart to the Pinto. Cured me of any desire to buy American. There were the holes rusted in the floor pan - this in Southern California! - but the killer was the transmission. When I was a kid, we had a '55 Chevy. A long way from new (where I grew up, "trailer trash" was considered upscale), but for its day & age fairly sound & reliable. Had just one quirk: every once in a while, the external transmission linkage would get stuck between 1st and 2nd, and you'd have to get out, open the hood, and unstick it with a big screwdriver. So twenty years later, GM builds this new Vega, and guess what? Yep, the transmission would still get stuck between 1st and 2nd :-(

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY for Taurusaurus Rex!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
count me in

I have ,for myself, owned the
Taurus (2 at different times)
Pinto (2 at once and then 1 later) (I had a few Vegas as well)
Explorer (H.O.V8 install, ?F.E.? yeah right)

and to sell I've had several Cavalier (s?)
a Sebring and an Astro (George Jetson?)

I like the Ford products. I find them easy to diagnose and repair.
The Chevy stuff I buy cause it is uasually cheaper to acquire and repair for resale. (Working a Buick now).

S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 11-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
CAUTION: May Stink!!!

BDC's Honda CiViC HX/Si - '98 Honda CiViC HX/Si (HX Shell/Si Swap)
90 day: 40.56 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
What? No mention of the venerable Oldsmobile Cutlass???

I'm calling BS on that article!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My first car was a 1976 Pinto-a radioactive Orange three-speed Automatic, $250 used and sound as a gold dollar. It was a great car for an insecure 16-year-old to develop his driving habits on, and(despite the 3-speed) got about 30 MPG.

My Dad drove it to a fire one night (volunteer Fireman) and a 15-ton truck snapped a brake cable and squished the poor thing into another truck. Not only did it not explode, Dad got it limping back home, pulled that Unkillable 4-cyl out and put it in a neighbor's Kit Car, and parted components out of the Pinto until only the frame was left for scrap. We made $700 off that Pinto and salvaged the '68 Beetle that I spent the next 12 years of my life with...

The Pinto was a GREAT car.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 32.04 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Still have my Explorer, best running car I've ever owned. At 170,000 miles the motor was never apart, it runs, drives and looks almost new.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608
Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #27 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via AIM to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via MSN to BlackDeuceCoupe Send a message via Yahoo to BlackDeuceCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by order99 View Post
My first car was a 1976 Pinto... got about 30 MPG... pulled that Unkillable 4-cyl out and put it in a neighbor's Kit Car... The Pinto was a GREAT car.
I'll tell you what...

The Pinto motor was GREAT!

One of my buds ran a mid-engine Pinto in his sand rail. It had (real live) Hilborn fuel injectors and ran on 100% alky. Kind of a bish to get started - but put out 300-400 HP on a dyno (can't remember the exact figure). And, yes, it WAS "Unkillable" and fast!

LoL! Gas mileage sucked in this monster - went through a 55-gallon drum of alcohol in 2 days at the dunes...

Pintos are popular motors in sand rails! The only reason more ppl don't run them is because they weigh 30 pounds more than a VW and, of course, you need a radiator.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Explorer was a good vehicle except the 2002-2005 models which had multiple problems and warranty repairs. Taurus was also a good vehicle except the numerous transmission problems. Seemed like if you had a Taurus, you either had a good one that lasted or a problem child.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fokus - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 32.04 mpg (US)

Lecksus - '03 Lexus RX300
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Benzzzzz - '11 Mercedes Benz ML-350 4-Matic
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Black duece we ran the same motors in Midgets and Formula Alantic cars, they really arent pintos, same block but thats all. Running straight Methanol you feul ratio is higher than gas so yes it will burn quite a bit more, but remmember the alky has some of it's own oxygen, thats the reason.
"The Stone Age did not come to an end because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will not come to an end because we have a lack of oil" ; His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Zaki Yamani (Saudi Arabia Oil Minister from 1962 to 1986)

https://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-...ehicleid=10608
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guudasitgets View Post
Black duece we ran the same motors in Midgets and Formula Alantic cars, they really arent pintos, same block but thats all. Running straight Methanol you feul ratio is higher than gas so yes it will burn quite a bit more, but remmember the alky has some of it's own oxygen, thats the reason.
Yeah, well to expound...

As I said, my 'bud' always had a hard time lighting up his 'Pinto' motor on alky. He actually brought extra batteries and extra starters to the (Glamis) dunes.

OMG!!! He would crank n' grind that thing until it fired, or the battery or starter gave out, whichever came first. You gotta put it in context, you know? And, when he finally got it fired up - they made him run in the back of the pack - 'cause that alcohol smells so bad when it lights up! I thought it was cool, but everyone thought it smelled like sweet farts or something - I think they were jealous. They were running pump gas - which doesn't smell all that great either, when you think about it...

But, I'll tell you what - that motor was brutal, once it fired! And, it never failed to fire up. Sure, it might take a couple of batteries in the morning, or a new starter, but that thing was a brute!

Look, all I'm saying is the Pinto motor was a 'good' motor, if it could stand up to that sort of abuse - and *screw* the guy/gal that wrote that article!

Reply  Post New Thread